1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rotating Prime tires at home

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jb in NE, Apr 24, 2019.

1. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    For those who haven't purchased a spare, what method are you using to rotate tires at home? I typically like to rotate F-R and cross the backs to the front, but without a 5th tire for the mix, this requires all four corners to be up at once or a sequence of jacking up one side and then the other.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Owner's Manual says to keep them on the same side, just front to back and vice versa. That's a first for me, but I've stuck with it (albeit on a 3rd gen). One advantage: only two of your rims tend to get curb rash.

What I do is raise the front with the front/centre jacking point, set it on safety stands, then repeat at the back. Basically get the whole car up, with an inch clear at most.

I do not use the scissor jack points for my safety stands, found more solid/substantial points, inboard a bit.

IMG_0192.JPG

jb in NE likes this.
  3. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks. I’ll ignore their recommendation on that and cross them. That method has served me well on all vehicles without directional tires.

I’ll check underneath my Prime for Jack points

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I follow the manual. BUT for me the tire rotation means change to snow tires and back twice a year. In my area that is pretty close to 6 moths each, ~7500 miles. My snow tires are directional, so it can only go front to back, and I follow the same for my summer tires. I just have to make sure to mark the tires when they come off.

tire rotation.png

fuzzy1 likes this.
  5. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Radials should not be cross rotated.

6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really? Honda recommends cross rotation as long as tires are Non-directional. No mentioning of radial tire. In fact all of modern Honda I had came with OEM radial non-directional tires. Here is the diagram for tire rotation from my 2008 HCH.

honda tire rotation.png

#6 Salamander_King, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    audiodave and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Same for me, but I haven't bought snows for this one. I have tags that I put on the snow wheels when I take them off, and then of course there is the spreadsheet to track the number of miles in each position, for both the summer and winter tires.

My Miata has directional summer tires, so that's just jack up one side, swap front/back and then jump to the other side and repeat.

Salamander_King likes this.
  8. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Do you have a reference for this? Here is one online guide that says otherwise, from a company that sells a few million tires a year - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=43

Back in the early days of radials, there were some problems with reverse rotation, but that problem has not existed for at least 40 years. I have rotated radials fronts straight to backs and backs crossed to front for at least 35 years and have never had a problem with any tire.

From Clipboard.jpg

#8 jb in NE, Apr 24, 2019
  9. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Haven’t checked the Prius but I put Yokohama's on my Camry and they definitely had arrows pointing in the direction of rotation. I guess it “just depends” I’m a guy who likes to err on the side of caution I guess.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I seem to recall, in the early days of radials, there were issues with cross-rotating: the longitudinal belts would start to delaminate with the changes in direction. Now though, the problem doesn't arise. Tire manufacturers recommend cross-rotation.

Still for me, I'll go with the Owner's Manual instruction; it's worked ok so far. And like @Salamander_King , I do have some directional tires (X-Ice snows), so at least I'm doing the same style of rotation every time, less chance of a mix-up.

jb in NE and fuzzy1 like this.
  11. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Clearly with directional tires they need to be in the correct orientation. But the statement I question is "radials should not be cross-rotated."

My 2018 US-spec Prime has Toyo NanoEnergy A29 tires (with a whopping 300 tread rating). No directional markings of any kind and the tread is not directional.

The Toyo USA website shows four rotation patterns, three of which would be suitable for this type of tire. Tire care tips including correct inflation pressure & inspection tips | Toyo Tires

From Clipboard.jpg

#11 jb in NE, Apr 24, 2019
  12. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Hmm...so both of our Prius vehicles have a spare. For some reason I never even thought of using the spare as a way to easily rotate the tires! D'oh...o_O I'll have to start doing that now. Thanks for the insight!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    When I put the spare on the first wheel, I just tighten the lug nuts lightly since the car isn't going anywhere (I use a 1/4" electric impact driver to spin the nuts off and on after I loosen them with a breaker bar - I spin them on with this little impact and that holds them just fine for the spare). I only tighten/torque at the final wheel installation.

#13 jb in NE, Apr 24, 2019
  14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Read the tire manufacturer's instruction. Most of mine have specifically called out cross rotation as acceptable.

15. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Correct though I didn't know the recommendation not to cross rotate radials had changed until recently. The 2010 my in-laws gave to my daughter had markings on the inside of the tires that suggested they had been on both sides of the car (tire store swap over of summer and winter tires on their own rims. I asked my local mechanic and he said it isn't a problem now. We stick with the facts we know until we find out they have changed. I have no idea how long ago the delamination problem ceased to exist.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Cross rotation is what's given my tires the longest life. Even with new struts I still get cupping. Cross rotation counters that. Non directional tires of course.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

17. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    This makes sense. With regular rotation in a cross pattern, each tire spends 1/4 of its life in each tire position. Any wear unique to a position only happens 25% of the miles.

audiodave likes this.
  18. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I think most Prime owners are finding that the OEM tires aren't that spectacular as far as wear. If you look at the reviews on Tire Rack for the OEM Prime tires, they are middle-of-the-road. 300 treadwear rating on my eco-squealer Toyos, which is the same as the rating on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on my Miata. The Pilot Sports are summer high performance tires.

19. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I'll have to say I'm amazed by the tread wear of our Michelin Defenders ( we have on both Prius vehicles ). Of course, you do take a small hit on MPG vs dedicated LRR tries but I think the much longer tread wear of the defenders makes it pretty much a wash.

jb in NE likes this.
  20. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I doubt many prii have directional tires, you must have a jack already, get a pair of jack stands.
    The rear can be jacked up both sides at once, under the middle in front of the rear axle is a downward pointing tower, just jack it up and rotate the rears, or, jack up one side of the front put a jack stand under and lower it onto the jack stand then jack up the wheel that your going to rotate to.

You need a low profile jack and a torque wrench for reinstalling, use a breaker bar to loosen the lug nuts, don't use the torque wrench.

Pdog808 and jb in NE like this.