1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rotor replacement advice

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sezy, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Sezy

Sezy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Can anyone tell me by look at my rotor if it needs replacing? The outside braking layer is worn more than the inside layer. I'll take better pics next time the wheel is off if needed. Not having any issues or noise from the brakes.Rotors are smooth. I wiped an area of the rotor to show more detail. Just looked worn at 129,xxx miles.

Driver side

20151210_183837.jpg

Passenger side
    20151210_183856.jpg

20151210_183907.jpg

2. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The ONLY way to check to see how worn the rotor is to measure the thickness in the middle. The min thickness is stamped on the rotor.
    Your real concern should be the pads and their condition and thickness. Many times if the pads are getting worn you do not need to turn or replace the rotors at all. Just replace the pads.

Sezy and salguod like this.
  3. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Honestly, they look ok. It never hurts to replace them but, they do look fine. Looking at them is really not a true test though. There is minimum thickness and that has to be determined by using a micrometer.

Sezy likes this.
  4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They look good. And from the picture wear lip on them looks so small that it very unlikely that they are too thin.

Sezy likes this.
  5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    New rotors are 23 mm thick and should be replaced if at 19 mm or less. Making a judgement from your pictures "not very scientific" I would say you have at least 22 mm left and are in good condition. Seeing the inboard surface of the rotor is difficult but is worth checking as often the working surface is reduced to about 50% the rest being rusty.

John

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not conclusively. To satisfy yourself, check the thickness of the two sides with a caliper. Also, if you take the rotor right off you can really see the inside condition: installed the dustshield covers virtually all of it. A couple of M8x1.25 bolts can be screwed in on the hub, to bust it loose.

Attached Files:

Sezy and frodoz737 like this.
  7. Sezy

Sezy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Started thinking of changing pads again and might as well do rotors too. Everything feels smooth on both sides of the rotor. Still sitting around 22mm after two years. No issues or noises with braking just feels like time being at 155,xxx miles. Hoping to sell the car in late 2018 and get a Prime. Should I even bother with changing pads and or rotors if that's my plan?

20171213_222123.jpg

8. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Rotor looks very good. So unless it’s bad on the inside I see no reason to replace it.

Proper way to measure disk thickness would be to measure it from the wear areas with caliper measuring tool. As the rust ridges on the edge won’t effect it’s measurement.

Sezy likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Anybody know have the spec's on second gen rotor min thickness, runout? See I posted gen 3 above, not really relevant.

Anyway, those rotors look good. Are you noticing anything, pulsing for example? If not, no real need to replace. Check thickness against spec with a micrometer or similar. How are the pad thickness?

Sezy likes this.
  10. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    22mm standard 20mm minimum.

0.05mm maximum runout. But really only time the run out should be measured is when installing new discs. And even then it’s probably not needed.

Mendel Leisk and Sezy like this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One thing I've read: if you remove but intend to re-install existing rotors, mark a stud and the rotor, and put them back on in the same orientation, hopefully to avoid increasing runout. The theory being that if you re-install in different orientation, it can change things.

12. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you change pads without machining rotors, the new pads will immediately wear exactly like the old pads were, if you change rotors without changing pads the new rotors will wear quickly to look like the old rotors.

So, if you have the metal, resurface (machine shop) the rotors and put on new pads, if you don’t have enough metal, new rotors and pads, aftermarket will probably be better than oem.

Sezy likes this.
  13. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you just replace the pads they will take the contour of the rotor surface. But they won’t be like old pads. As of course the new pads have lot more material than old ones.

Unfortunately really no point in machining the old rotors as it’s basically the same price as new aftermarket rotors.

Sezy likes this.