1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. theotherone

theotherone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2010 Prius with 145,000 miles, which is idling roughly whenever the hybrid battery is down to 1 to 2 bars. No current problems with MPG or trouble codes, but it recently began burning about 1qt. of oil every 5000 miles with no visible leaks. I suspect that there is a heavy amount of carbon build up, in addition to possibly a valve seal or piston rings that might be causing the oil consumption.

An independent mechanic suggested that I might try a "BG Fuel/Air Induction Service" in order to deal with the rough idle. I know that the induction service includes the use of BGK44 Fuel System Cleaner, in addition to manually cleaning the throttle body, intake manifold & MAF sensor.

My question is if anyone has ever tried a "BG Fuel/Air Induction Service" on a 2010 Prius? There a list of recommended shops that claim to specialize in this type of service through the BG website.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have been working with my local BG Products rep and here's what he said about the fuel induction service:

They all have the same fuel induction kit. It is a 3 part kit, and can run anywhere from $120 to $160 depending on the place.
    A fuel induction service involves sending fuel cleaners through the air intake, and the fuel tank. In the air intake, they use a tool that atomizes the cleaner into a fine mist. It coasts the entire intake, and "washes" off the buildup layer by layer. It is more of an intense cleaning, to clean off a lot in a short amount of time. You will notice a performance difference in your vehicle when you drive away from the dealer. Going through the fuel tank is similar chemistry, but a different application. It dilutes into the fuel, goes everywhere fuel goes, slowly dissolving buildup as it moves through the system. It is a more thorough cleaning, but over a longer period of time, a tank of gas, or about 350 miles.
    In regards to smog checks. The air intake part is cleared of system before you get your car back from the dealer. The fuel additive is in the tank until you fill up again. I recommend burning through a full tank of gas before the smog check, but I know guys that have used the full additive, drove 100 miles, and tested the car with the additive still in the tank, and passed with flying colors.

If you are curious about some other BG Products information, I have gathered more here:

[POLL] Excessive Oil Usage

Hope that helps(y).

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have you tried cleaning the throttle body? Changing out the plugs?

#3 JC91006, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  4. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    sounds like the clogged egr system