1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rough Start After Replacing EGR Valve

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by eschavez6, Aug 2, 2018.

1. eschavez6

eschavez6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I was going through other threads about rough starts with model 3 priuses (there are so many) but none had my specific sequence of symptoms so I thought I would try to get some insight on this. I have a 2010 Prius with 150k miles. It's been getting ~47 mpg in the summer and burns a quart of oil about every 2000 miles.

1. Last week the car got a P0401 Exhaust gas insufficient flow detected error code but that went away on the same ride and no symptoms occured

2. On saturday after driving for 45 minutes, the car shuddered violently when accelerating from stopped at a red light, but did not occur for the remainder of the drive (another 1.5 hours)

3. On monday the car shuddered when turning on, and at 2 red lights on the way to work which is a 30 minute drive. The check engine light came back on with P0401 and P0301 cylinder 1 misfire detected. I ordered an EGR valve and gaskets from rockauto, and didn't drive the car on tuesday.

4. On wednesday, i replaced the EGR valve, and cleaned the metal pipe. The car started fine and drove for 5 minutes fine with no check engine light.

5. Today, the car was running fine until i stopped to get gas. The car shuddered when starting and the check engine light came on with P0171 system too lean, and there was a "pending" code of P0301 (wut?). I unplugged and re-plugged the MAF sensor wiring clip but the shuddering persisted at the next red light 15 minutes later.

So, I hope with this sequence of events the problem may be evident to all you experienced mechanics out there. Is there something simple that I can try? I've been driving with an OBD logger and measuring the throttle position, rpm, egr status, maf value all of which i can report if you think it would be helpful. Please let me know if there is any test I can do to help identify the problem, or anything.

Thanks,
    Rick

JohnnyJavelin likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it continues to be intermittent, you might want to use an Bluetooth OBDII reader and Torque app to see if you can monitor some of the cars sensors in real time. Also Long ago on here I read about some kind of issue with the intake manifold on Gen3 cars that created a rough running engine in some conditions. Not sure there was a recall, but I think someone got a replacement manifold at no charge. But like I said it was a long time ago, so not certain.

3. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hate to say it... ...... Headgasket. This is exactly what my sisters 2010 started doing. We tried everything all in a waste of time and money. Cylinder one has coolant very slowly leak into it at first, causing a misfire. My sister drove it like that for over a month until everytime time the engine stopped when it restarted it made that awful sound for longer. It started out as only happening over a nights sit, and in the morning making that sound when it was cold. I hope you problem isn't this, but unfortunately it's very common on the 3rd gen prius. My dad and I replaced her engine by ourselves with a low mile engine. Eventually the same thing will probably happen to the new engine. The hybrid battery is still going stong with almost 250k! It will outlive 2 prius engines :)

4est likes this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

If you only cleaned the egr pipe and swapped the egr valve, there is more work to be done:(.

The egr cooler and intake manifold also need attention to fully vet your situation ;).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

Mendel Leisk, qettyz, m.wynn and 3 others like this.
  5. eschavez6

eschavez6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So over the weekend I did a bunch of work on the car.

First, I replaced the vapor canister purge valve, and the PCV valve and the car seemed to be running great for about 5 miles. I know the car often shudders when starting so I drove the car, parked, waited 5 minutes, started the engine and no issue. The I let the car run for a while in the driveway with the AC on - the car would turn the engine on and charge the battery for 3 minutes every 10 minutes. The shuddering happened again after the 3rd charge this way and the check engine light came on with P0301 cylinder 1 misfire. At this point I decided to replace the spark plugs. When they came out, they were covered in a goopy stuff. It didn't quite smell like oil, more like some kind of solvent but idk really. (see the pic)

Since doing the spark plugs on sunday, there has been no shuddering yesterday or today at all and no error codes or pending error codes. My theory is that one of the valves (EGR, PCV or vapor purge valve) was failing, failed to the point of breaking the cylinder 1 spark plug, then the engine started to shudder.

It's only been two days but I'm hopeful the problem is solved for good! I only spent $650 on the repairs (counting a bunch of ratchets that im keeping) and about 1 day and 2 nights of work. Will post if problems arise again.

Also, side note to Aaron, I rented a block head combustion gas testing kit but this prius doesn't have a radiator cap... only the reservoir. I did the test on the reservoir and it demonstrated that no combustion gasses were in the coolant but like i said, i was doing the test out of the reservoir so idk if that's a real result.

2018-08-05 14.57.49.jpg

Raytheeagle and PriusCamper like this.
  6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hoping it's not the head gasket symptoms that guy above mentioned... Sounds like you've been thru enough already!

7. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Of course it's very hard to tell from a picture, BUT, that plug gap looks HUGE! ......

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Yeah I'd concur: the cooler (the stainless steel contraption between the valve and the exhaust manifold) needs to be removed and cleaned. Watch @NutzAboutBolts video, #17 here:

Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos | PriusChat

And this thread:

EGR & Intake Manifold Clean Results | PriusChat

9. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not sure why you replaced the purge valve when the codes are for misfire and lean condition...

I think swapping the plugs to check the misfire and cleaning the egr system would’ve suffice to see if there’s any other issues. Also checking the cylinder compression leak down test, so with a blown head gasket you should see air in the cooling system and bubbles in the radiator reservoir. Same with coolant pressure testing.

Let’s hope there’s no more issues with that. :)

#9 NutzAboutBolts, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    m.wynn, Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. eschavez6

eschavez6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for your guys help so far, unfortunately i still haven't resolved my issues.

I replaced the intake manifold and took the car to toyota for a "software update" whatever that is as per the thread "Rough engine start" But the shuddering when starting never went away.

I drive this car every day and over time there have been a few more symptoms on the vehicle. The rough starts now happen multiple times per day and additionally, about once a week, when starting the car in the morning I can notice a huge cloud of white smoke coming out of the exhaust, which completely goes away after about 10 sec. I know this is a symptom of a blown head gasket, but it's confusing to me that it happens so severely at first then not at all afterwards. The car is definitely going through coolant, I'm putting about a full tank in every week.

So to test the head gasket, i bought a compression tester and followed the instructions from this prius chat thread "compression test". All four cylinders achieved a pressure of 160 - 175 psi after a few cycles of the engine. I did notice that the needle on the compression gauge would kinda go up and down as it gained pressure, but this seemed to happen in all cylinders.

Questions:
    Could the head gasket have failed and the compression test be ok? If so, what is a better test?
    Is there another reason the coolant would be getting into the exhaust?

Thanks everyone for the help so far. I really hope we can figure this out without junking the car.

2018-09-16 12.58.12.jpg

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Leak-down test?

Full disclosure: I've never done one, but apparently it's good for pinpointing what's leaking and where. It requires setting piston at TDC on compression stroke (I think, going from memory), then applying pressure into the spark plug hole, and seeing where air comes out.

12. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You don't need to test anymore... you have a blown head gasket. The red text above comfirms that you're losing coolant, and where it's going. The only way the engine can lose coolant is through an external leak -- which you'd see puddled on the ground. Or by leaking into the combustion chamber via a compromised head gasket or cracked block -- and the compression test confirms you don't have a cracked block.

It's worse when you first start the engine because coolant has been allowed to slowly leak into the cylinder while the engine has sit idle. Then when it's started again, all that coolant that's accumulated in the cylinder is burned off and pushed out the tail pipe. The head gasket leak is small now, so the amount of coolant that's being introduced to the cylinder while the engine is running is quite small -- not enough to significantly affect the appearance of the exhaust after the first 10 seconds. It's also possible that as the engine heats up, thermal expansion is reducing the serverity of the head gasket leak.

If I were in your shoes, the first thing I'd do is clean the clogged EGR cooler -- since that's likely what caused the head gasket leak to begin with. Then I'd try one of the products that professes to fix a leaking head gasket. As Click & Clack from Car Talk used to say, "Go to the auto part store and look for a product with the word 'Miracle' in the name." ;) Seriously though, there are "block seal" products that supposedly work on minor head gasket leaks. I've never used one, so can't recommend one. But do some research and see what comes up. The "correct" way to fix it is to pull the head and replace the gasket -- admittedly, that is a labor intensive endeavor. So the block sealer is kind of a Hail Marry, but it's worth a try because at this point you have nothing to lose.

Good luck... and keep us posted!

13. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Replace the head gasket. Don't use the sealer. It will also seal the water passages in the radiator.
    Unless you are going to replace the radiator, water pump, thermostat(which you should when replacing the head gasket),
    hoses........
    The small leak will turn to a large leak and it will end up bending a rod in the engine, and possibly brake a piston, maybe
    throw something through the engine block.
    It all depends how lucky you are.

#13 ASRDogman, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    cnc97 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Love this. (y)

15. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    WOW! ....do I miss those guys! .....

16. eschavez6

eschavez6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is it at all possible that the head gasket on my vehicle is OK and the coolant is getting into the combustion chamber via the EGR cooler?

I am asking because an EGR DTC was the first symptom on the vehicle. Also really just hoping it itsn't the head gasket because that's mad expensive and beyond what I think I can do myself.

17. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

So much this. Look at my pictures I have uploaded and that will show you exactly what the sealer will do. Three months from now you will be looking for an engine. That’s how long mine lasted with sealer.

18. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "It all depends how lucky you are."
    And I repeat:
    Replace the head gasket. Don't use the sealer. It will also seal the water passages in the radiator.
    Unless you are going to replace the radiator, water pump, thermostat(which you should when replacing the head gasket),
    hoses........
    The small leak will turn to a large leak and it will end up bending a rod in the engine, and possibly brake a piston, maybe
    throw something through the engine block.

mjoo and RMB like this.
  19. JohnnyJavelin

JohnnyJavelin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I dropped my 2013 off at the dealer today. In April they determined that it needed a new head gasket at 116K. They wouldn't do it under wtty as per Toyota. I've kept an eye on coolant, etc. And, yes I had cleaned the EGR system and recently put on an OCC.
    I've been asking everyone I know who has one of these Prius's of their experiences regarding this problem. Most haven't heard of this problem yet. However, my contractors Prius is sitting in his yard for blowing white smoke and the dealer not helping.
    Last week I finally caught up with a coworker with a nice 2012. He told me that last month he had headgasket as well as oil ring problems but his dealer said Toyota will cover the headgasket. So now he is using oil every month!
    Today, at 127K miles, I called my dealer to ask them to reconsider their estimate. I was told to bring it in for retesting as Toyota has reevaluated this problem and he was pretty confident they would reconsider.
    In short, see your dealer again if it has less than 150K and is covered under California emissions standards, which NJ may be(?)

20. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There's a member here putting together a lawsuit and lawyer-ed up. He/she need numbers, you sound like a good case to go along.

Mendel Leisk likes this.