1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rough thuddy startup, like piston rings are carboned, happened before and after HG replacement

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusGoonie, Oct 15, 2022.

1. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lots of counterfeits a sold on e-bay.

PriusGoonie and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yip

CR94 likes this.
  3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Guaranteed counterfeit. I would rather buy junkyard coils if some unknown guy convinced me I needed coils. I have 270,000 miles on my coils and injectors. OEM are solid; fake are scams. Just like water pumps, plugs and filters. I did buy three "oem" oil filters once. I was proud because the three were less than one from a legitimate seller like the dealer or even Walmart. ADM showed me the error of my ways. And yes, I get a thunk on coldstart once or twice a month. No metallic damper slipping.

4. PriusGoonie

PriusGoonie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    bisco likes this.
  5. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Usually the boxes are slightly different between Genuine and Counterfeit. This knockoff has obvious differences in the part embossing or lack thereof. I guess if I were buying from ebay it would be used parts.

Used part
    75B3BF95-DFDC-4FB7-BBEB-9098E58DBD92.png

One ebay knockoff
    924B15E7-3CFA-40D1-9C9C-110078198880.png

Another ebay knockoff
    3503FD23-DE2D-4C07-BD31-D827D2ADC7BE.jpeg

#25 rjparker, Oct 26, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
    PriusGoonie likes this.
  6. PriusGoonie

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Well I just got the 4 boxes. Says seller in China on eBay, but location from New Jersey, except the package says send to CA in Walnut, CA, a 381 Brea Canyon Rd, then to me. They (the boxes) look very legitimate, all brand new, unopened. White plastic bag around them with its own sticker. There are printed stickers on the ends of the boxes. Inside each box each are wrapped in a bubble wrap bag, not taped shut, loose, head (top) in first. There are no instructions or fliers in the boxes. The coils don't look used they look brand new. The bottom of one of them I'm not sure. These are 3 of them I haven't opened the 3rd for a demo for Toyota mechanics to look at.

Each top is different, the extrusion process is a little swirly on some, solid on others. Wouldn't notice till up at the light. They don't have oil on them. Some have light scuffs here and there. Rubber looks, I don't know you tell me, little imperfections one could overlook. The metal doesn't look sanded down. No little bits of anything. Doesn't smell like anything at all except for the rubber tip, the rubber tip smells like a plastic kind of elmers glue spray paint smell. Pobably normal. None of the tops have any single imperfection, zero hairline scratches. The only thing I notice are these little knicks at the bottom of the metal sheeth both sides, and the top the same thing. Extrusion defects from snapping out of the mould.

The lettering info is raised, created during the extrusion process, not printed, and no ink on the lettering, just pure plastic.

There isn't a single speck of dust on them, came right out of where they were created.

They seem to be genuine.

So either the color is off, they're extremely good copies, or they are stolen goods, or they are extremely cheap from China direct to a warehouse that bypasses Toyota for pricing and they're 100% genuine, costing only $95 for me to purchase, which means they were a lot cheaper for markup price, which means they were probably only around $5 a piece originally.

Stuff is very cheap when getting in bulk and from other countries. Hell medication that costs you thousands here costs you only a few bucks over there.

What do you think. Gray colored top rubbers. I see black sometimes online saying those are genuine, but you're showing me fake ones that are black. So

Attached Files:

7. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Proof is in the pudding...

8. PriusGoonie

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    All I can do is see if they can test them, or test them myself I mean, not sure how I'd go about that

9. PriusGoonie

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Read further down I added pictures

10. PriusGoonie

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model: