1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Round antenna cable question 2006 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by drummerJ99, Jun 12, 2014.

1. drummerJ99

drummerJ99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello guys, I have a 2006 Prius with Navigation. I was given a Visteon Jump HD Radio. It wants me to install the normal round antenna cable into it and then go from it to factory radio. My question is...where is the normal round antenna cable on a 2006 Prius? According to youtube videos, the connection on the back of the radio is a square Toyota connection. According to another website, the antenna actually plugs in above the headliner in the middle of the car. My question is, where does the round plug go from there? Or is my best bet to find a adapter to go from the Toyota plug to the standard coaxial style?

Here's the install manual for the Jump. It starts on page 9 of the pdf file. http://www.npr.org/nprshop/downloads/Visteon_HD_Jump_Manual.pdf

Would like to know what's the easiest way, in case I deceide I don't like HD radio and want to get rid of it.

Thanks in Advance,
    Jeffrey

EDIT: BTW I have the JBL audio system if that matters.

#1 drummerJ99, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The JBL system has an antenna plug in a jack on the back of it. all you need to do is pull the black coax cable out. I believe it's called a mini Motorola connector. You plug that cable into your HD unit and the HD units cable into the radio where you got the antenna cable in the first place. It,s actually simple to just pull the radio, it's only 2 10 mm bolts holding it in! I did mine the first week I owned it. Added a splitter to feed a Scanner. it worked out great!

OH BTW, don't get really excited. You need almost perfect reception or it drops into normal 38kHz subcarrier stereo! It all depends on how far you are from the stations antenna tower, the Digital FM power output, and what's between you and the antenna, hills, buildings, that sort of thing. I would pull the dash apart, install and power up but don't put it all back together. You can drive without many of the panels you are removing. Take a drive and see if you get digital dropout. If it gets really annoying, at least you can yank it out, and put it back together only once!
    Hopefully however it works out great for you. If so, then just put it back together and you will be good to go.
    I would be interested in a follow up post from you on how well or not the system works.
    Here in Los Angeles, sometimes it really sucks!
    Good Luck!!

#2 KK6PD, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014