1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RTOD, no codes, can drive

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by KellyKellz, Sep 19, 2022.

Tags:
  1. KellyKellz

KellyKellz New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello! After reading many of your posts for the gen 2 prius 06, I was able to diagnose the RTOD and replace the inverter pump, bled the coolant, and got the car to finally turn over. It would turn over but wouldn’t allow me to put the car into drive. The “red problem” on the MFD would be there plus when putting into drive, the MFD would display a message to put the car into park as the transaxle could not charge. Ok put it into park and nothing would happen. After bleeding the coolant and for air bubbles, the car started on its own! But would still not drive without the message on the MFD about not charging the transaxle.

After further research, I found water pooling in the trunk on both sides behind the rear lights. Sealed allll of the possible areas. There’s one area on the left side when the panel is pulled off, there’s a wet spot. My theory after finding videos on YouTube, was the hairline cracks on the outer side of the trunk and the weather strips that meet the hatch area at the top. Standing on a ladder, I’m short, was able to see many hairline cracks that were long. Sealed them with a windshield type of glue used in a YouTube video. Allowed it to dry for 2 hours and pressed the weather strips back down. Be sure to thoroughly clean these areas as well. Additionally, looking down the trunk/hatch/outside areas under the grommets holding the hatch open, spray the hell out of it with fix a seal and the same windshield glass for additional protection. Fixed the problem! Tested in FL rainy season!

Additional research shows the HV fan on the right panel side may be exceptionally dirty or the connector may be corroded. My fan was ehh dirty by my standards but not exceptionally to block the flow to the HV battery. The connectors not corroded. From what I can tell, the relay is not bad either.

As of now, the car starts and drives! Yoda runs like normal, aside from brakes and rotors rubbing against each other now. However, sometimes when starting the car the RTOD is still there but if I put the car into drive and then reverse a little, it goes away and everything is all good. I would love to think there’s nothing else wrong but I’m sure it’s something small that could be big. So it’s like 90% fixed but somethings just not adding up for the RTOD to still show.

I have the Dr prius app and the veepeek obd2. It doesn’t show any battery or engine codes. It passed the full battery test. I did notice the blue ohms at the bottom do not match up all the time. Sometimes they are simply not there, other times some are and some aren’t, or they are all there at 20-25 ohms. The app is not very descriptive but I’m also not a mechanic.

The problem began one day after WFH for a few months and not driving as much as usual and then a week prior being used a lot. The a/c doesn’t really blow as cold as it should. So maybe I can replace the HV fan and the a/c blower motor or use the R1430 (not sure the exact numbers) refrigerant. I can’t hear much from the HV fan when the car is on and working as normal. I know it should be a whisper, but shouldn’t there also be an ability to feel some movement to know it’s working? We can feel air coming from the black duct vents but maybe it’s not enough. It was tested by hooking it up to the 12v battery and it came on blowing HARD.

sorry for the long post but this is as descriptive as possible. I’m going to clean the MAF and TB but outside of that, not sure of the issue. I have video and screenshots of the Prius app if that could help, I’ll post.

Thanks for any response and help!!

2. KellyKellz

KellyKellz New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, gas levels tend to fluctuate on the dash but I get the same 300 miles per fill up when I watch the miles, so I was thinking about changing the upstream air fuel ratio. Maybe it’s the fuel pump? How would I know?

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome, Kelly.

You need to find out what code is turning on the master warning light. That can only light if a trouble code turns it on. Dr. Prius doesn't even come close to talking to all the computers in your car. It's focused on just the hybrid battery and stuff like that. Get a code reader that will query the whole car and go from there. Otherwise, you might spend years and thousands replacing things that are not the source of the trouble.

Well, the transaxle can't charge because there's no battery in it. Are you sure that's what it said? That sounds a little like the P-Lock message that says something like, "The Transmission [P] lock mechanism is abnormal. Park your car at a flat place and apply parking brake completely." That's usually caused by a low 12V battery that doesn't have enough power to to operate the parking pawl in the transaxle. And that seems pretty likely given the history you described.

Edit to add that a low 12V can also generate trouble codes in various places due to not having enough power to supply the needs of all the sensors and ECUs.

4. KellyKellz

KellyKellz New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the 12v tested and the battery is fine. What’s a good reader? I’ve bought a few and they aren’t compatible.

5. KellyKellz

KellyKellz New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I will take a picture when the message comes up again

6. highmilesgarage

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    did you check your oil level? last time I have RTOD there were no codes detected and when I added oil it's gone.

7. KellyKellz

KellyKellz New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I get regular oil changes but when it first happened, I was due for another. I have checked the levels and they were ok but I’ll check it again.

Hello Jerry,

please see the picture. I started the car and put it into drive. The RTOD came on along with the message on the MFD but I went forward and it went away. Everything else is as normal.

Attached Files:

#7 KellyKellz, Sep 20, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2022
  8. KellyKellz

KellyKellz New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok since I was able to still drive the car and it stayed running when I put it in park. I checked the HV fan and it’s not blowing at all. Could it just be the fan or something electrical? When I hooked the fan up to the 12v battery it worked, so is it really dead or something else?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    KellyKellz likes this.
  11. KellyKellz

KellyKellz New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was about to go to an autozone and see if they could pull the codes just now. As I was sitting at the light to turn, the RTOD and circled ! Came on the dash. I came back home immediately as I knew the car wouldn’t start again to allow me to leave autozone. I was right.
    Came back home, turned car off. Turn car back on and it won’t let me drive. There’s no gas when I mash down the gas pedal.
    All of the lights are on dash: RTOD, check engine, the circled !, and the BRAKE sign but the emergency brake isn’t on. I’m going to disconnect the 12v eventually and most of those should go away except rtod.

Dr Prius app gave me the code P0AA6. Which is devastating to say the least upon a Google search.

I dont want to go to the dealership and when I called Thomas at Tampa Hybrid he wasn’t very helpful or offering to help either just citing how he doesn’t have a team and won’t make house calls. The car now won’t drive.

#11 KellyKellz, Sep 20, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
  12. highmilesgarage

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    that code means you have short somewhere in your hybrid battery. Could be a lot of things, from leaking modules or connection but definitely you need to have the HV battery looked up.

KellyKellz likes this.
  13. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The MFD warning is easy. It's telling you to NOT leave the car in neutral, since the HV battery will not charge when the car is in neutral.

The car goes to neutral instead of Drive due to the P0AA6 code. The P0AA6 is a HV isolation fault, typically but not always, caused by electrolyte leakage at the HV battery. It can be reset by disconnecting the 12v battery for a few seconds. This is only a short term solution to the code. It would be best to get accurate code and subcode readings to help determine the location of the voltage leak.

jerrymildred and KellyKellz like this.
  14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It only means the HV battery if the INF code is 612.

Getting the codes read with a scan tool that can retrieve the INF code (611, 612, 613, or 614) is an important step in narrowing down where the isolation fault is for this car.

[​IMG]

ColoradoCrow and jerrymildred like this.
  15. KellyKellz

KellyKellz New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I found that information while looking at the HometownHybrid video.

I will see if I can get the HV battery assessed. Do you know how much Toyota would charge? Would Toyota cover it under the $120 diagnosis fee, anybody know? Otherwise I’ll just call them probably before this post gets approved. For a car that’s 16 years old and 187k miles and 90+ degree weather majority of the year, the battery more than likely needs to be replaced.

Additionally, the HV fan is not blowing. It was tested hooking up alligator clips red/blk, to the 12v battery terminals and it worked but it’s not blowing while reassembled in the vehicle. Any experience with that? I want to replace the fan anyways due to again age but not if I don’t have to right away.

Does anybody have experience with any of the electrical wires needing replacing overtime?

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would suggest, before anything else, getting the INF code that goes with your P0AA6. Whether that does or does not turn out to have anything to do with the HV battery might then influence what you want to have assessed next.

17. KellyKellz

KellyKellz New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your help so far. I’ll come back and update!

18. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It looks like @TMR-JWAP and @ChapmanF got here quicker and with better answers than I'd have had. Those guys are GOOD!

Where in FL are you? If you're close to Tampa, try giving Tampa Hybrids a call. (I think they're good enough that after buying six cars from them, I went to work there part time after I retired. :)) If we can fit you in, we're much cheaper than Toyota. If the leak turns out to be in the transaxle, though, that's going to get pretty pricey.

Let us know what you find out. We're pulling for ya.

19. KellyKellz

KellyKellz New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I’ve called Tampa Hybrid and the owner kept repeating that he didn’t have a team, doesn’t make house-calls, etc. It seemed he really didn’t want the work!

20. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry, but we don't make house calls. Like most businesses these days, we struggle to find people who would rather earn a living than play computer games in their mother's basement and collect checks from the government. That's why parts are scarce and service is hard to come by. Until we can find more competent mechanics, we're not able to meet the demand. It's not that we don't want the work, it's just that there are only so many hours in the day. That's why I conditioned the suggestion with "if we can fit you in."

I hope you can get to the bottom of it and I'm sorry we don't have enough staff to meet everyone's needs.