1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RTOD, very little battery charge and a few codes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by EricGroce, Aug 24, 2022.

1. EricGroce

EricGroce Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife has a 2007 Toyota prius, about 216,000 MI

I went to go pick up the kids from school today and everything seemed fine I fired up the car and started driving through the line after I got on the road the red triangle of death showed up

I looked and the battery charge indicator was down to one bar

I shut off the air conditioner and drove down the road a little bit to where I could pull over in a parking lot and the battery seemed to charge up fairly quickly which was really strange

I pulled the codes off of it..

P1116
    P1121
    P0A80(pending)

I checked coolant temperature and took a look at the inverter coolant reservoir and I could see that it was pumping as there is a little turbulent area near the top

I decided to go ahead and drive it home and monitored the coolant temperature levels using torque pro

After I got home I figured out how to reload the Toyota Prius specific pids

I found that the battery temperature sensors seem to be hovering around 130° f

The state of charge seem to be somewhere around 40 or 45%

All 14 battery blocks seemed to have a similar voltage when the car was on.. somewhere around 16.7 volts and I think they dropped to about 15.7 volts with the air conditioner turned on maximum

I also took note that the hv fan seemed to be running.. on speed 5 which as I recall is the fastest speed

Another thing to note my wife had mentioned that she heard static from her passenger side rear speaker... And retrospect I now know that this was the the high voltage battery fan

Even when we were driving on the highway it took almost forever to get the charge level indicator up to three bars..

Another thing to note maybe a year ago or so we had a cell block fail... .. we went ahead and replaced that and everything seemed to work pretty well

An additional odd thing is that I was getting pretty good highway mileage with the battery not charging up.. somewhere around 55 mi to the gallon which doesn't make a whole lot of sense and I know that that won't translate into any actual real world games that it's just a snapshot of the moment.. but perhaps it would tell us something

2. highmilesgarage

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You will want to datalog the HV battery block voltages while you drive. The P0A80 usually sets when one of the block voltages is "too high a difference" from the rest. Ideally, you would have an app or scantool that can retrieve freezeframe data for that code as well- that would give more info.

Here's a review of different apps and devices.
    https://priuschat.com/index.php?posts/3248199

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Your batteries plus 20 years old even if somebody bought a refurbed one still it's old refurbing isn't new so I don't know what the situation's going to be. I bought a new one from Toyota because well I'm looking for another 18 years you know. I know it's one thing I won't be worrying about for a good minute