1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rub Electic motor noise with Steering while

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by eman08, Sep 12, 2016.

1. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I notice this new developing rubbing sound with my steering wheel. I'm considering taking my dash apart and take a look at the steering wheel assembly. When I'm stationary stilling idol with no music on or AC on and the ICE is not running, i can hear this rubbing electro mechanical sound with the steering wheel only when I turn it from left and right. I can feel the electric motor vibration like the shaft is rubbing against behind the steering wheel sort of like how a screw is stripped. Anyone else experience the noise before? Other than that, i don't really her the sound with music and AC going. There is about 10 recalls on the 2nd Gen I'm aware of. WRONG FORUM. Should be under 2nd Gen category. Gen 3 Prius category selected by accident.

#1 eman08, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have you checked the service records of your Prius? I think there was a recall to do with the steering-shaft, I remember seeing it mentioned when I looked at the maintenance records for my 2009 Gen II - sorry I don't have more details, but it might be a good starting point! Good luck!

eman08 likes this.
  3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here's the info on the last recall for the steering Gen II Prius.

Attached Files:

eman08 and WilDavis like this.
  4. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's the one I remember seeing hidden in the depths of the service-records for my Prius! Thanks for sharing! ;)

eman08 likes this.
  5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here is some more info on the last two recalls for the Gen II Prius. It took me a while to find it in my pile of files here...

Attached Files:

eman08 likes this.
  6. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The water pump was replaced and the floor map issue was fixed according to the records but my vehicle has no "Open Recalls". I do notice my steering wheel slightly twitches occasionally like if I go over a bump or something like the electric motor is trying to make a correction. I have taken the dash apart yet but will take a peek later on today. I doubt it would have anything to do the steering computer module that sits behind the steering wheel.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you have a "good" alignment shop in your area, you might have the alignment checked. I know that our Gen II and our Gen III does exhibit the steering wheel kind of moving when ever you hit uneven pavement and or bumps but I feel it is normal. I have seen the same thing on other cars and trucks before.

How many miles on your Prius now? You mentioned no open recalls on your Pri. Did you take it in for the immediate shaft thing or did you not get a letter from Toyota?

I do recall that Toyota never sent us a letter on it when I had the Gen II, but they did do the pump and shaft recall when I took it in for the pump. There was nothing wrong with our pump, but I did get a notice for it but not the shaft thing...

If it really bothers you, get a indy alignment front end shop that you trust to look it over. I feel they will say nothing is wrong, but you just never know until it is checked. I used to suggest the dealers/stealers but after the last incident with Toyota on our Gen III Prius I am no longer recommending the stealers. But that is another story...

Best of luck to you. (y)

eman08 likes this.
  8. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I bought this car in June as I haven't had it long as I bought it of the lot with already 160,7433 miles on it on a fairly young car that's only 7 years old. It's only had one owner and no accidents. I'm actually the IT guy for the used car lot/repair shop I bought it from as I personally know the owner as he hooked me up with new tires and everything. No alignment check far as I know. It does look I like need one anyway as my steering wheel seemed to always have to be turned slightly left by an inch when going straight. I generally do all of my maintenance or repairs myself only to the point I don't have the tools or resources and needs to go to a shop. It's out of Warranty since the owner racked it to 160k miles pretty quick

9. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Really hard to say at this point if you have a problem or not. If you do go the route of the alignment check, don't be shocked or surprised if the toe is out of spec on the rear and furthermore is not adjustable. Prius has a beam/solid axle in the back. This beam as they call it is notorious for getting out of spec. Some folks shim them, others ignore it. If your tires are not showing excessive wear then chances are you will be okay in respect to the rear beam. Just a heads up on that in case you were not aware.

Also in reference to your steering wheel being cocked, it may or may not be out of alignment. If it is pulling to one side or the other, I would definitely get an alignment to keep from wearing out the tires.

eman08 likes this.
  10. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Looks like the sound is coming from my clock spring. I assume if this is normal due to the car being soo quite.