1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rubber material holds key to long-lasting, safer EV batteries

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by PriusCamper, Jan 18, 2022.

1. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "Georgia Tech engineers have solved common problems (slow lithium-ion transport and poor mechanical properties) using the rubber electrolytes. The key breakthrough was allowing the material to form a three-dimensional (3D) interconnected plastic crystal phase within the robust rubber matrix. This unique structure has resulted in high ionic conductivity, superior mechanical properties and electrochemical stability.

This rubber electrolyte can be made using a simple polymerization process at low temperature conditions, generating robust and smooth interfaces on the surface of electrodes. These unique characteristics of the rubber electrolytes prevent lithium dendrite growth and allow for faster moving ions, enabling reliable operation of solid-state batteries even at room temperature.

"Rubber has been used everywhere because of its high mechanical properties, and it will allow us to make cheap, more reliable and safer batteries," said Lee.
    " Rubber material holds key to long-lasting, safer EV batteries -- ScienceDaily

2. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    This reminds me of the Silcon Lead Acid batteries in my miles zx40 NEV.

They last forever despite being a form of AGM like lead acid

PriusCamper likes this.
  3. So, could some of the rubber from old tires be recycled to go into these batteries?

Tideland Prius likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not a bad idea.

But rubber being a natural material will degrade overtime. I suppose it’s not exposed to air and heat but maybe they’re banking it’ll outlast the battery?

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I suspect the rubber from tires won't be suitable.

The research was with synthetic rubber, which tires can be made from, though the use of natural or synthetic there depends on market prices. So the rubber type can vary. Then there the additives to tires, like salts for winter ones, that likely would need to be removed. Plus vulcanization is a hurdle to recycling. it keeps rubber from simply melting. Good for tires, but bad for recycling.

https://cen.acs.org/articles/93/i16/Elusive-Dream-Tire-Recycling.html

6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah... Not to mention the proprietary nature of ingredients in tires, which is a nightmare for us enviros when it comes to managing hazardous waste, especially 6PPD.

But these batteries are next level rubber, we're talking nano-wire rubber matrix level stuff here. You need a highly refined rubber that's barely even been invented yet and you have to print it into tiny tunnels inside each cell while filling it with Lithium at same time.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've long thought that asbestos would be a better separator material. The heat resistance would avoid the 'melt' that often leads to a cell separator short. Better still, the fear of asbestos would lead to increased battery recycling. However, ceramic fiber separators would work too.

Bob Wilson

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    With asbestos, I would think it would lead to old batteries being sealed up and tossed into a landfill.

9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The point of this advancement is that it allows batteries to operate at a lower temperature thus asbestos is not needed because the heat is no longer hot enough to require it. And low heat operation solves all kinds of other problems/design challenges too.