1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rubber mats, question regarding clips

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by blackmasked, Aug 21, 2022.

1. blackmasked

blackmasked Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I purchased a set of genuine rubber mats a while ago, but the clips they came with do not make much sense.
    As you can see from the pictures included clips are the S-shaped ones, however once the mat is in place holes in the floor and holes in the mat line up perfectly, which would suggest that a straight clip should be used instead. Similar to a standard trim clip perhaps. Using supplied S-shaped clip pushes the mat a bit too far forward, to the point that it covers the dead pedal a bit.

My local dealership admitted that these clips don't seem to be correct, but they were also rather unhelpful when asked to sell me the correct ones. Apparently, they don't sell clips seperately and I am certainly not buing anotherset of mats.

What drives me crazy crazy is that every time I take my Gen3 for a service, meachanics take the driver mat out and chuck it in the boot, due to it not being secured properly. They even tried telling me that these mats and not genuine, despite the fact I purchased them at the very same dealership!

Anyway, does any of you own these rubber mats and is able to advise me on the clips I should be using?

Attached Files:

#1 blackmasked, Aug 21, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That may be the right clip. Here's are gen 3, think they're similar.

1355DF4A-CCBA-4FFF-9A1E-3D691C982BA9.jpeg D8790E33-1B90-43D9-86F8-F58C909AD7AA.jpeg

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unintended acceleration lawsuits is the origin of these dumb clips... Toyota argued it's the only way a Prius could accelerate on its own so they added the clips so the floor mat doesn't get jammed up around the accelerator pedal and spent over a billion in settlement costs.

In general, really crappy drivers that panic and freeze up rather than problem solve if something is not right when driving boost insurance rates, manufacturer liability, deaths and injuries. In truth these people who freeze up when things go wrong while driving need to be unable to get a driver's license in the first place.

Foxglove likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe too: engineers who design a car that’s unintuitive to the point that bad things happen, should have their licenses pulled. The return-to-Center joystick shifter and push button start/ stop come to mind. Plus the eyes-off-the-road heat/vent controls. Plus the centre-of-dash speedo, that’s virtually unreadable in bright sun.

Foxglove likes this.