1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rugby World Cup

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by AussieOwner, Sep 6, 2007.

1. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Nicely done, mate! I knew there was a reason I like the Scots so much! ;)

You know, it's funny. I was at a biz conference over the weekend and was talking with a fella from Kent. The conversation naturally turned to football and then to rugby. I asked him why the English side wasn't better and he said that then there wouldn't be any whinging and for the English, that's what it's really all about. I had to laugh when I read that first one. It jibing exactly with what he told me. Too funny.

2. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Sep 19 2007, 10:04 AM) [snapback]514558[/snapback]</div>
    roflol :D :D :D

Now back to the game......

What happened to Iteland??

On their day, France can be good, but 25-3? :eek:

3. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Irish looked like they just phoned it in! The French side were not having a particularly good day either (except for that first try)

Scotland showed some good defense, but had no clue about finding the tryline themselves. No Idea what happened to Samoa, mind you the referee calling the game to maintain a Northern Hemisphere pace didn't help their cause.

Tonga were awesome against the Boks! If their first try hadn't been disallowed with that (questionable) forward pass ruling they would have won -- who'd have thought it a few weeks ago. Here's hoping Tonga shows what they can do against England!

4. AussieOwner

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Sep 25 2007, 08:27 AM) [snapback]517102[/snapback]</div>
    I would just love to see Tonga get up and win, but I do think that England are starting to get their act together, as long as a couple of key players keep fit. Also, I think that I would prefer Australia playing Tonga in the quarters rather than England. ;)

5. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So now we've arrived at the quarters. We've got:
    Oz vs England in Marseille and
    South Africa vs Fiji in Marseille the next day
    We've got the hosts France against NZ, but in an away game in Cardiff
    (a bizarre touch of which only the IRB is capable)
    and We've got Argentina vs Scotland (au revoir Ireland!)

Picks Gentlemen?

I'm thinking England, while improving steadily, has little chance based on their form thusfar, Australia, while declining through injury probably has the wood on them
    I'm also thinking SA over Fiji, although I'd love to see them get a surprise or two or three
    France has been deadly to NZ at this stage before, but it is an "away" game. C'mon ABs...
    & Argentina to complete the southern hemisphere sweep.

What say you?

6. pyccku

pyccku Happy Prius Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    And what will the French do to challenge the Haka? Perhaps they will get naked and do suggestive poses, showing off their manly bits.

Seriously, they've done a nekkid calendar for several years now. It sells out, and people actually still buy calendars from years past when they can find them because...um, it's because the photography is really, really good. Yeah, that's it, they buy it because the photographer has created true art.

You can see the calendar for 2008 at http://www.stade.fr/dieuxdustade/

I'm a French teacher, I played the Kamate theme song for my students and (I think) they enjoyed it. At least the female students did. And I did.

7. AussieOwner

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Oct 1 2007, 07:11 AM) [snapback]519546[/snapback]</div>
    Australia v England - well, I am a little biased, so Australia
    New Zealand v France - on form, got to go for the Kiwis
    SA v Fiji - like you, it is hard to not pick SA, but if Fiji play like they did against Wales, it could be anyone's game, but still go for SA
    Scotland v Argentina - Could go either way - Scotland will be playing to continue a Northern hemisphere presence, but as reported here in England (where I just happen to be), Argentina have been told that the local Football derby has been moved so the country can support the rugby team, so they now have the added pressure to win. Picking Argentina.

8. AussieOwner

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh! Woe is me.. :(

How can I ever hold my head up again? :(

Australia beaten by England......... again :(

I just cannot believe it. We gave the game away. We scored the only try and gave the game away.

Oh the shame, shame, shame.. :( :( :(

9. AussieOwner

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh! please tell me that the world has come to an end :huh:

Now NZ loses to France :(

I made a reply to Samiam way back along the lines of would NZ get past the quarter finals, but never did I consider the scenario that I have just seen.

This has to be the worst day for Rugby. Australia and New Zealand out in the quarters. We are now faced with the possibility of only having one southern hemisphere team in the semis - at least one will make it, thanks to the SA v Fiji match.

What a day of sorrow! :( :( :(

10. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sorry to hear the results were shite for you, but at the end of the day it's good for Rugby if there's healthy competition. There's always 2011 (I had to say the same thing when England lost to Portugal in the 2006 FIFA World Cup).

11. AussieOwner

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, after the last statement on who will win, I am now a little frightened to make any predictions, but, as I started this thread, here goes....

England v France - in Paris and home ground, I would like to go for France, but think that England will triumph

South Africa v Argentina - should be South Africa, but Argentina will make them work.

A suggestion on British TV was a France v Argentina final, but don't think so.

12. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Aaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh!
    [attachmentid=11880]

France is too inconsistent
    England is too slow
    Argentina hasn't the depth
    It'll be SA.
    [attachmentid=11881]

Attached Files:

13. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ok -- what's the difference between the All Blacks and a tea bag?

A: a tea bag stays in the cup longer....

14. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Oct 8 2007, 07:05 PM) [snapback]522888[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol:

Ouch!

15. AussieOwner

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Oct 9 2007, 11:05 AM) [snapback]522888[/snapback]</div>
    lol

nice to have something to smile about :D

16. theblackbag

theblackbag New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    England beat France,
    The argies beat SA,

Then the Argies beat England in the final by cheating (again) and give us somthing to complain about for another 20 years. :lol:

I would not at be suprised to see the main photo on the back pages of every newspaper in the UK is a gigantic Agentinian stood over the broken body of Johnny Wilkinson 27 seconds into the match.

17. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Found this on YouTube will watch Joe Cole highlights. Thought of you lot. It doesn't look fun. What's the life expectancy of a rugby player?

18. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sent by my Kiwi brother-in-law:

1.What's the difference between an arsonist and the All Blacks?
    An arsonist wouldn't waste five matches.

2.What's the difference between the All Blacks and a tea bag?
    A tea bag stays longer in the cup.

3. A man's body is found washed up in Wellington Harbour wearing pink panties, fishnet stockings,
    high heels and an All Blacks jersey. The police have decided to remove the All Blacks jersey
    to save the family embarrassment.

4. After the game Richie McCaw is walking down the tunnel and found a cellphone.
    He picks it up and hands it to the referee.
    Ref asks, "How did you know it was mine?"
    "Because," answers Richie, "there are 15 missed calls on it".

5. Huntley and Palmer's (biscuits manufacturers) are the new All Blacks' sponsor
    because they crumble in quarters.

6. What do you call 15 blokes sitting watching the World Cup semi final?
    The All Blacks.

7. What about the All Blacks bra?
    All support but no cup.

8. Why do the All Blacks always have two to a hotel room when they are on tour?
    So one can perform the Heimlich Maneuver when the other chokes.

(insert cymbal crashes here)

19. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Oct 10 2007, 04:54 PM) [snapback]523439[/snapback]</div>
    That utube clip is actually from a Rugby League game -- a completely different sport to Rugby Union. Rugby Union (or just rugby), is what the world cup is all about. Compared to union, league doesn't have as much institutionalised violence at the rucks, but perhaps some more biffo off the ball. The clip though says it was posted in response to to the clip of Ritchie McCaw (captain of the ABs) getting spear tackled by Lote Tuqiri (wallaby fullback) which was a Rugby Union Game that I remember very very well.

20. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Oct 10 2007, 04:50 PM) [snapback]523883[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the clarification, Sam. The question still stands though. How long do those guys stay at it? Looks like it's pretty brutal. The linemen in the NFL supposedly have a lifespan of about 60 years. Don't know if that's bollocks or not, but seems believable given the amount of abuse they take (and all of the drugs they take to stay fit for a season).