1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rumble in front left of 04 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Devil's Advocate, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Over the past few months I "believe" that I am hearing a, shall we call it a rumble, coming from the front left of my 04 prius. I have a package 9 with 86,000 miles on it replaced the tires but don't think that is the cause of the noise.

The noise does not appear to be speed sensetive nor does it produce a "clicking" sound when turnning, as a bad CV joint would. Eventhough on left hand turns the "rumble", which is constant, seems louder.

I have been throwing around the idea that it is either:
    1. Bad wheel bearing,
    2. Bad Electric motor bearing, or
    3. CVT issue

Any ideas?

2. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, if it's a wheel bearing, I'd assume that it would be speed sensitive, i.e., as your cruising speed increases the pitch of the rumble gets higher. That might be a clue.

Come to think of it, ditto with an electric motor bearing (depending on which MG might have the problem). Isn't MG 2 directly joined to the PSD? that'd mean that it, too, would be speed sensitive...right? MG 1 isn't though...so this might help differentiate between the two and where the problem might lie.

Someone who really knows these cars could tell you, but I can't.

Diagnostically speaking, with a conventional car, I'd try coasting in neutral to see if stopping the rotation of some of the parts in the transmission helps...but I honestly don't know what effect, if any, this has on the Prius with its PSD.

Also, technically, there is no CVT in a Prius; it's a power split device which is based, in part, on the planetary transmission such as found in a Model T Ford.

Based upon your observation that the rumble gets a little louder when you turn right, I'd guess that it's actually coming from the right side of the car...and the problem is the RF wheel bearing.

OR...

Second guess is that there's a problem in the PSD, and the differential action caused by turning is creating the noise. Hope it's the first one!!!!!
    [smile]

3. member

member New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Dec 27 2006, 03:22 PM) [snapback]367395[/snapback]</div>
    Hear it only and not feel it in the wheel or floor?

Tried a rebalance of that wheel? Ask for a rebalance and report how far out it was. Hopefully you rotate periodically (good time to rotate!)
    Inspect your CV boot - good shape? not leaking grease?
    Inspect suspension bushings - still rubber in there? Not cracked or crumbling? Free play?
    Push down hard on that corner of the car - rebounds the same as the other corner?
    Tire wear normal? If not, a loose steering rack ball joint can allow a wheel to act like a caster wheel on a shopping cart and this may appear as a rumble.
    Inspect all joints - jack up that corner try to turn wheel back and forth any free play? Do same with top. Push and pull bottom of wheel in and out, any free play?

I'd suspect ball joints first, CV joint/boot next (can be bad even if looks ok), wheel bearing and motor or CVT last.

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jack up the FL wheel and try to tilt it top-to-bottom. If you feel
    any play, chances are it's the bearing.
    _H*

5. cbs4

cbs4 Member

I'd look for oil stains under the car, to see if that provides any clues to a part that failed.

For example, there is a shaft seal where the left-hand half shaft leaves the PSD that has been known to leak. Mine did, but I caught it early. I've read four other accounts on the forums where this seal is suspect. It's hard to see the seal, because the inner CV joint blocks the view. But the oil stains under the PSD, along with following the path that fluid woud take when subject to gravity and wind, provided the clues to diagnose.

Perhaps there are some similar type of clues awaiting your or a mechanic's visual inspection that will help pinpoint a part or seal failure that by and by caused the rumble.

6. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks so far:
    Pinto - Turning right actually stresses the front left wheel and assembly, somewhat counter-intuative.

While the noise appears to be speed sensetive (really super hard to tell), it is not obviously so, as in the clicking of an old school CV joint going bad.

Fuel economy does not appear to have been affected, as I keep a close track on this. My average fuel econmony has been pretty consistent at 41.5 MPG (dropped an MPG with the new tires) but I have noticed my "high speed" (cruising to Vegas or LA above 80 MPH) fuel economy has suffered. I used to get at worst 38-39 MPG on the trip but now have had some 36 MPG trips.

I am preparing an oil change in the next week so I'll examinine the CV more closely.

It's just a wierd sound. If anyone knows of any problems with bearings in the CVT or the PSD?