1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RUMOR - next Prius delayed to spring 2009

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ken1784, Jun 15, 2007.

1. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

It looks Toyota is spending tough time to finish the next Prius design, and a press said the next Prius delayed to spring 2009 instead of fall 2008.

http://www.nikkan.co.jp/hln/hlntop.html
    (Japanese only and the page will be gone soon as it's only a headline.)

Ken@Japan

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

3. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs New Member

Is it just me, or did this not translate to English well?

4. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I for one like the current pre-mortar, but will buy the next pre-motor when it arrives.

Nate

5. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gh4chiefs @ Jun 15 2007, 06:31 AM) [snapback]462223[/snapback]</div>
    Don't you just love on-line translators?

My favorite from several years ago is the phrase "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak" translated to Russian, then back to English, resulting in "The meat is rotten but the vodka is strong" :rolleyes: :) :lol:

6. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ Jun 15 2007, 04:35 AM) [snapback]462168[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds to me that, as long as no other manufacturer is pressing Toyota in this area, they decided to contnue with their current very successful design a bit longer rather than risk issues with a possibly premature revision. Did I read that right - there were safety concerns for the Liion battery? Wonder if that's true or just my misinterpretation of the translation, or maybe just their pubicly offered reason. If there are deep-seated safety concerns with the battery produced by Toyota's chosen battery supplier, it may be a while before we see lithium batteries in the Prius. Pity about the Liion batteries, but until somebody produces a vehicle to challenge the Prius, why should Toyota be the one to take the gamble?

7. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK! This is a very expensive post... 15 cent a Japanese character = US$108.00 :)
    Is this more clear for you?

Ken@Japan, a native Japanese

Edit: Can I get more than 70% score in my English class?
    Edit2: Woul anyone please correct my English if it is wrong with green fonts?
    Edit3: prudence = conservatively ?

8. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ Jun 15 2007, 12:04 PM) [snapback]462357[/snapback]</div>
    Yeesh! That is expensive!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ Jun 15 2007, 12:04 PM) [snapback]462357[/snapback]</div>
    Ken -

Your English is better than that of a lot of native speakers!

The only real "errors" are omissions of modifiers like "the" or "be" and tense, which can make translation difficult. I've included some edits for how we might say the same thing in the states (I can't help it. I married a writer/editor and she's rubbed off on me). As far as I'm concerned, you get an A+ for your English!! :D

And conservative is a good translation for prudence. A stricter definition would be caution, but conservative is just as good.

Mike

9. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ken,

I know some kids here that could use some English lessons.

Wayne

10. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ Jun 15 2007, 09:04 AM) [snapback]462357[/snapback]</div>
    Ken, you did significantly better than 70%! Thank you for your efforts.

Regarding correcting your English, there are some idiomatic items that contribute to a translation. Following is one interpretation based on your effort:

The sale of Toyota and new "pre- mortar" semi- annual postponement
    Toyota said they postpone the release date of new "Prius" a half year.

The Toyota Motor Corporation improves extensively, the new model hybrid car which plans throwing fall of 08 (HV) half year postpones the sale time of the "pre- mortar" spring of 09.
    The Toyota Motor Corporation postpones the release date of new "Prius" a half year, from fall 08 to spring 09, which is expected to whole new design.
    Edit: The Toyota Motor Corporation postpones the release date of new "Prius" a half year, from fall 08 to spring 09, which is due to technical issues related to the whole new design.

From viewpoint of modification and quality guaranty of the vehicle design it finishes to step on in postponement of sale time in addition to the topic of development of the system which is the core part of HV and supply system.
    They decided that they need to delay the sale date because they require more time to change the design and to keep the quality in addition to developing new system which is a core HV part and forming the better supply chain.
    Edit: They decided that they needed to delay the sale date because they require more time to complete changes to the design and to maintain the high quality in addition to developing new HV system which is a core part and ramping the supply chain to meet the quality objective.

Toyota from topic in regard to development as for half year postponing time of new model car sale exceptional case.
    It is very rare case that Toyota delayed the release date a half year caused by such development issue.

It seems to affiliated each company formally that such as part manufacturer conveys the same decision even within month.
    It seems that they are going to tell this situation officially to their associated companies and parts manufacturers within a month.
    Edit: The specifics of the delay will be communicated to the supply chain partners within a month.

The usual gasoline powered vehicle the system development only of HV which differs, became the background of decision of final sale postponement.
    The background of the final decision about this postponement is caused by the different design stages between a conventional powered vehicle and a HV.

Toyota at the beginning with the next term model, the new model pre- mortar which becomes 3rd generation, it was the schedule which throws October of 08 to aim in Japan.
    At the beginning, Toyota planned to release the next, 3rd model, of Prius in October 2008 in Japan.

The high performance planning the adoption of the lithium ion electric battery in the accumulator which is the core part of the hybrid system as an eyeball of the new model model which increases fuel economy efficiency markedly.
    They planned to adopt the Li-ion battery which is a core part of the hybrid system and it would be a highlight to improve the fuel economy.

Replacement from the former nickel hydrogen electric battery to prerequisite, development was being advanced.
    They were developing the new Prius based on replacing the former NiMH battery.

But from topic with respect to safety, giving up the adoption of the lithium ion electric battery recently.
    However, they decided to give up to adopt the Li-ion battery for safety reasons.

Continuation use of the urgent sewer and the former nickel hydrogen electric battery was decided.
    The decision was made very quickly to continue to use the NiMH battery.

Because of that, besides the fact that the second look at the vehicle design occurred, it judged comprehensively from topic in the production of the nickel hydrogen electric battery and supply aspect, decided the postponement of sale time.
    Because of that, they decided to postpone the release date referring to requirement of redesign of vehicle structure, manufacture of NiHM and supply issues.
    Edit: Because of that, they decided to postpone the release date owing to a requirement for redesign of vehicle structure, manufacture of NiHM batteries and other supply chain issues.

Toyota selling the current pre- mortar in September of 03.
    Toyota started to sell the Prius in September 03.

Japan and America focusing on large it hit, attached the bounce to the spread of HV.
    The HV became very popular as you saw a hit in Japan and the US.

The sum total sale of HV which Toyota sells in the world exceeding 1000000 in the end of May.
    no comment. smile.gif

Approximately 760000 unit among those was the pre- mortar.
    You know now "pre- mortar" means Prius.

It has an influence success or failure of the new model pre- mortar on the future hybrid car strategy largely for Toyota which aims for the spread of further HV.
    This'll be a big impact for Toyota's future hybrid strategy and success to try to get further popularity of HV.

Because of that it is seen that, compared to it reached to the judgement which expects prudence.
    Because of that, it looks they decided to act conservatively.

11. geeky teacher

geeky teacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Now we know what "Prius" really means in Japanese, not Latin!

Will gen 4 be a "mortar"? ;)

Thanks Ken, that was a lot of effort.

12. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gh4chiefs @ Jun 15 2007, 08:31 AM) [snapback]462223[/snapback]</div>
    So it wasn't just me then. Thanks Ken.

13. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think Ken did a fine job interpreting that, and I thank you. I understood his translation perfectly. Perhaps because I play a MMORPG game (FFXI) online, and have spoken/played with many Japanese players. Thanks again Ken!

14. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geeky teacher @ Jun 15 2007, 10:05 AM) [snapback]462437[/snapback]</div>
    When you consider a mortar to be a forge, crucible, English translation of Prius as "to come before" matches pre-mortar: before the 'creator' of a new generation.

15. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That statement's just one letter away from being a pandemic. :eek:

16. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Finally, what looks like authentic news about the actual release date for the next-gen 2009 Prius. So with what looks like almost a two year wait until the next gen Prius hits the US Dealers, maybe some of us will need to reconsider our 'waiting for the 2009' before buying (a Prius) strategy? Hopefully, gas prices drop quite a bit soon, which should translate to a few more reasonably priced used Prius's for sale.

[​IMG]

17. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Toyota understands that hybrids must be reliable. They can't afford to put out a hybrid that isn't reliable. The battery has to be reliable. Toyota's reputation is riding on it.

And the longer it takes for the next Prius to show up, the longer it is before mine becomes obsolete.

Harry