1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rumors that Sirius equipment NOT compatible with XM

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by judd2401, Nov 23, 2008.

1. judd2401

judd2401 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Spoke with tech support today from Sirius, the unified line-up between Sirius and XM is imminent. Apparently, much of the Sirius equipment is not compatible to receive XM channels. I just bought the SCCI Sirius Connect Tuner and TOY/SCI interface but haven't had them installed yet. I gave Sirius the SID number of the unit, they entered it into their system, and said it was, in fact, it was compatible to receive XM channels. It was also confirmed that non-compatible units will require new or add-on equipment for Sirius customers. When the interface comes, I will check the compatibility and update this thread. When I initially researched the best equipment for my 2008 Prius, #6, this was the equipment recommended on this site and I suspect many other Prius owners will be concerned about the compability of their equipment. Hope the experienced electronic buffs jump on this so we can all understand what's coming.

2. rwa46

rwa46 Pilot

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i have the one that use to be offered here and it works fine with the new siriusxm line up. my other half has the radio wave sirius and it works fine as well. i have no idea which ones arn't compatible.

3. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    "unified line-up between Sirius and XM is imminent"

that was several weeks ago.. november 12th 2008

4. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The big question is: will Sirius/XM service financially survive their merge? It seems if they do, the newly merged company will then sell receivers that receive one transmission, Sirius/XM, versus the two different technologies currently offered from once were competing companies. I was told in May of this year that my XM in my 2008 Prius would be compatible for both XM and Sirius after the merge took place. I also purchased a Pioneer XM receiver for my home. It would only make sense that they pick the one transmission they plan on using long term. If it is the XM transmission (how the satellites are aligned) then I guess I will be ok. If they do not financially survive it does not matter for any Sirius/XM satellite subscribers.
    If they choose Sirius satellite transmission my car/home units should be ok short term but eventually become obsolete.
    If I am incorrect in my assessment of Sirius/XM merger please comment.

5. pdhenry

pdhenry It's HEEERE!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sirius and XM have always assured subscribers that their receivers would not become obsolete.

Example:
    Karmazin: Sirius-XM combo will enhance choice - MarketWatch
    A Sirius radio may not be capable of receiving certain XM channels (less of an issue since they now simulcast a lot of programming over both) but it won't go obsolete.