1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Running a dual battery setup?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by prius121212, Jan 10, 2015.

1. prius121212

prius121212 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am interested in running a dual battery setup to run a fridge in the back of my car while it's parked. I travel a lot and live out of my car for extended periods. Anyway, if I use a relay/ silonoid to isolate the batteries, I am wondering if when I close the relay on the silonoid if the current draw from the dead battery will be too much for the inverter. I suspect that each night I will discharge the battery to about 30-40% power remaining, so when it comes time to charge it in the morning, I am not sure how much current it's going to pull. I know dead auto batteries can draw 100A after the car is jump started, which I know is too much for the Prius.

Any ideas? Ways to limit the current to the secondary battery? I was thinking of just going with a 20A or 40A relay, but I suspect what might happen is if the second battery tries to draw more current it will just overheat the relay vs actually limit current to the battery.

[​IMG]

#1 prius121212, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    newbies...:rolleyes:

3. prius121212

prius121212 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And the answer is?

4. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I don't know but like you I suspect that it might cause you trouble.
    Maybe BIG trouble.

5. prius121212

prius121212 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Running dual battery systems is not exactly unheard of. It's quite common actually. I know it can be done, the question is just how. I know if I could limit the current to the second battery somehow, then the inverter would just see the battery as a standard load like the headlights or anything else.

6. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Sure I know that.......with a conventional alternator that is "upsized" to accommodate the second battery and high charging currents.
    I have such a system in my RV and it works quite good.

Since there is no "standard" way to upgrade the converter in a hybrid vehicle, I think you are taking a risk.
    Probably the only way to know is to try it and take some careful measurements along the way.