1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Running down battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ekc, Nov 21, 2004.

1. ekc

ekc New Member

I want to play with my Nav in my new car and try to pre-set a trip. Will I run the little battery down if I just turn accessory power on, or should I have the car running in the driveway? I don't need a dead battery. Thank you.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think you'll have any problem if you take less than 30-45 minutes. If it'll be longer just put it in IG ON mode and it'll use the HV battery which will have plenty of juice.

3. ekc

ekc New Member

By IG ON, do you mean when you power it up and it says 'ready', as opposed to hitting the power button once without touching the brake peddle?

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ekc\";p=\"51958)</div>
    No. You push the power button twice without pressing the brake pedal. All the systems and accessories will operate, but the engine will not run.

5. ekc

ekc New Member

As long as I don't touch the brake peddle, I only have to hit the power button once. However, I was wrong...I thought that meant that it was running on the 12 V. Thank you...

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ekc\";p=\"51979)</div>
    I'm not sure you understand completely...I apologize if you do, but your sentence above makes it sound like you don't.

No Brake:
    1 Press = ACC mode--12v battery only
    2 Preses= IG ON mode--12v and HV battery, not ready to run the car, but the HV battery will recharge the 12v to run the various equipment that has a higher drain than the 12v alone could handle.

Brake Pressed=1 Push = Ready mode

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"52003)</div>
    I'm not sure you understand completely...I apologize if you do, but your sentence above makes it sound like you don't.

No Brake:
    2 Preses= IG ON mode--12v and HV battery, not ready to run the car, but the HV battery will recharge the 12v to run the various equipment that has a higher drain than the 12v alone could handle.

Brake Pressed=1 Push = Ready mode[/b][/quote]

That is incorrect. The HV relays cut off the HV power from the inverter. Only in Ready will the HV provide power to the inverter.
    However, the Battery ECU is operative, so it can get and report the HV battery condition based on the voltages across the packs.

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, thanks for the correction DanMan.

9. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"52099)</div>

No Brake:

Brake Pressed=1 Push = Ready mode[/b][/quote]

That is incorrect. The HV relays cut off the HV power from the inverter. Only in Ready will the HV provide power to the inverter.
    However, the Battery ECU is operative, so it can get and report the HV battery condition based on the voltages across the packs.
    [/b][/quote]

I am not so sure. I hear the same humming from the HSD (under the HSD cover) whether the engine has turned off while stopped in ready mode or if while parked I use IG-ON mode to listen to music etc.

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

That noise you are hearing is probably the inverter coolant pump. If you were to put a voltmeter across the 12v supply lines, you would see that it is 12v or less in all modes but Ready, and 14V in Ready. The 14V is from the DC-DC converter charging the 12V battery and providing 12V to the electronics.

I have examined and read the service manual, and it does indicate the main relays only power up in READY mode.

11. ekc

ekc New Member

So, I'm back to 2 presses, no brake, to be sure not to wear the battery down...right??