1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Running for fitness

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jadziasman, Jan 20, 2013.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Those are some pretty good times! Every year we run the Baltimore marathon as a team relay. That is a very fun race. Running is very important to me, but I am struggling with foot problems as a Grand Master Clydesdale. That means an old big guy that tries to run. Trying alternate more biking now, I think that helps. For OP what I do on cholesterol, for butter I use Promis Active spread which has plant sterol esters. hard to find these days but I get it at some Super Walmarts it's my last place to get it now. We did the Cherry Blossom 10-miler a few times, a few years back.

JMD likes this.
  2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  3. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    2 miles by the Beach yesterday AM. Great weather.

image.jpg

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Beautiful. I don't even want to say what we did yesterday. In the sand, Preakness 5K...imagine a mile and quarter on a horse race track after thundershowers. This clydesdale feet sunk in 5-inch each footstep. Sounded good on paper, but yikes. Gentle on the feet I must say.

JMD likes this.
  5. Rupert B Puppenstein

Rupert B Puppenstein Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would run outside a lot more if I lived by a beach! :) Beautiful pictures!! I tend to run mostly on the treadmill and have gone as far as 26 miles on one at the gym. Kind of annoying with the time limit of an hour, so I have to keep restarting it. I try to look at those restarts as water stops. ;) I have another Half Marathon this weekend in Virginia. So, the drive tests my patience more than six hours on a treadmill!

JMD likes this.
  6. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    They have a Mud Run in San Diego. I never did it but people get into it. They run in bathing suits.

Rupert B Puppenstein likes this.
  7. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Breakfast at the Poseidon and 3 Miles in Torrey Pines State Park for Mothers Day. View from one if the trails image.jpg

Rupert B Puppenstein likes this.
  8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    normally I don't worry about the various and numerous correction Nazis on PC... but since you already corrected this poor guy regarding his bicycle height ... I guess it'll be okay to point out the correct spelling of "to" . . . its too - whenever you reference more or less or quantity or an amount ... fyi ...
    ;)

9. Rupert B Puppenstein

Rupert B Puppenstein Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A lot of my running friends do those, but I just can't. A Marathon or Half Marathon is torture enough, and you aren't terribly dirty after those. There are a lot of trendy races now in addition to the mud ones. The only southern California races I have participated in are at Disneyland.

JMD likes this.
  10. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Power walked 2 1/2 miles by the beach this morning. image.jpg

11. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Set a personal best today running 6.12 miles in 45 minutes and 45 seconds which works out to 8 miles per hour or 7.5 minutes per mile.

The cool weather (<60°F) has been a BIG help.

Today's run was 2.5 minutes quicker than what I was able to achieve during warmer weather (>75°F) just a couple of weeks ago on the same course.
    I overheat easily and I slow down quite a bit once my core temperature rises. If I stay cool, I'm able to sustain a fast pace for the full six miles.

I run a 1.53 mile course around three schools (elementary, middle, and high) that has gentle hills and is exclusively on pavement (asphalt parking lots and concrete sidewalks).

I'm amazed at my progress and hope I will be capable of running even faster by the time I'm 60 (which is only 40 months from now).

In January 2013, in my initial post, I mentioned that I hoped to run a 10K in 45 minutes. I'm less than two minutes from that goal as of today. I might reach that goal yet before this year is out.

#51 jadziasman, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
    ETC(SS) likes this.