1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Running on electric only?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by David Warshaw, Jan 28, 2013.

1. David Warshaw

David Warshaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Curious... does anyone take short (less than five mile), low speed (less than 30MPH) on electric only? Would doing so have any impact on battery life or other system issues? My understanding is that even if in electric only, the gas engine would start if the battery got too low, so there's no chance of getting stuck. Just wonder if I could really be gas-free for short trips to the store.

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When engine is cold, it will always come on to warm itself up, so EVing to store is not doable.

With warm engine, the concensus is don't try too hard for EV. If your cruising the neighborhood at 25 MPG or so and getting EV, enjoy it, but don't accelerate extra slow to keep it EV'ing. Just drive normally.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Short trips never do it for me, but if I have been doing 55 for 55 miles and slow to 30, I can often stay in EV when cruising, for almost a mile.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    get a pip.

5. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    To run it out of the garage to wash it at 5MPH with the heater off. Yes. Beyond that, no.

6. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you don't have a Plug-In then it is counter productive to try to run in pure electric mode It takes more gas to charge the traction battery than it takes to run on gas.

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have a v, but mine, if warmed up will EV quite a bit at lower steady speeds (lot at 25, some at 30 something, teeny bit at 40)

I'm kinda concerned that a lot of people think and expect Hybrid Synergy Drive to EV on command. No, just enjoy it when you get it and drive smoothly and normally.