1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Running Out Of Gas

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by iRun26.2, Mar 29, 2012.

1. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Though I Don't recommend trying to run out of gas to Test the PIP, I hope everyone knows that the Owner's Manual is like the Bible.
    Don't take it Literally.
    Use it as a Guide on how to operate the vehicle.

2. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm more inclined to believe that Toyota built in a idiot protection mode that doesn't let the battery SOC fall below a certain level. I still had one battery bar left, remember. I don't see how this would be any different than going up a long steep grade with only one battery bar left. When I've done that, I would see the car constantly switch from charging to discharging as needed. I couldn't go as fast, and acceleration was rather lacking, but I still got up the mountain to Tahoe without a problem. Multiple times, too. I also experience this going up the grapevine in Southern California.

1 person likes this.
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Hoo - boy ... you really think Toyota isn't savvy enough to stop morons from destroying the EV traction pack? .... after so many folks have already run their regular Prius' out of gas? No - your traction pack - if discharged while driving in 'stupid' mode (EV and no gas) - has to go into the dealer to be re-charged ... just like Gen II's and III's when you do the same thing. It's not destroyed. Modernly, manufacturers have to build things in a manner that anticipates 'stupid' ... and the stupid WILL continue.

4. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    IRun,

Since you started the Thread, you get to Volunteer to test how far you can go AFTER you run out of Gas.

Please take photos of the MID's HSI and EV Drive Ration displays too.

5. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hey, great idea! That way maybe we will find out how much it costs to replace the traction battery. Regardless of what Hill said, I have yet to see a car which is damned fool proof. Maybe just plain fool proof but just a particle of sense is needed to keep a car alive.

6. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Live on the Edge, Allannde.

Besides, it's IRun's car.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't think anyone really knows the answer to this question except toyota, and apparently, they aren't telling. i, like superjackie, ran my 08 out of gas and then drove on battery only until that got so low, the dashboard lit up and the motor quit. i called AAA, a truck came and added a gallon of gas and i was happily on my way again. engine fired right up and battery recharged as i drove around. i think bob wilson purposely tested and said the gen III does not let you drive on battery when you run out of gas. and he wasn't happy about it thinking that you might get stuck somewhere dangerous and not be able to limp out of harms way. so who knows what the plug in will do? first one to find out, let us know!

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Although these aren't PiPs, bwilson4web ran his NHW11 (1st gen Prius) out of gas intentionally over 2 dozen times (http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-technical-discussion/46792-running-out-gas-purpose-2.html). He didn't destroy his traction battery. However, w/the NHW11, it was possible to get into a no start condition which necessitates using a special charger to recharge the HV battery. It supposedly is much more difficult to get into that state on the NHW20.

He's also intentionally run his ZVW30 (Gen 3 Prius) out of gas at least a few times (http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/64211-warning-running-out-gas-gen-iii.html).

Erica, from Toyota did chime in with a (not so surprising) response/official statement at http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...ng-running-out-gas-gen-iii-20.html#post896802. If Erica chimes in again, I think her response will be the same/similar for the PiP. :)
    I'm going to have to agree w/hill.

However, I wouldn't personally want to chance it since running out of gas usually == great inconvenience and possible danger from an accident.

I'm going to have to agree w/Jimbo. In normal driving, I see 0 reason to chance it. If down to 1 pip, get gas, regardless of which Prius variant you're driving. If it ends up being a blinking pip, drop everything and get gas immediately.

If someone w/a PiP really wants to mess around w/this and observe the behavior, I strongly suggest doing it on roads w/little traffic and w/at least 3 gallons (or however much the manual says might be required for the gas gauge to register a change) of gas on hand. You might trigger a check engine light in the process too, that hopefully clears itself.

I apparently wrote a whole bunch of issues to be aware of in response to http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...input-gas-mileage-experiment-please-help.html.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i must say, erica's response couldn't have been more ambiguous. sounds like it was written by toyota legal.

10. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I've experienced running out of gas (unintentionally) on the freeway in my 2004 Prius. There was loss of drive power due to the lack of ICE power and I attempted to exit the freeway and get to a gas station. I was going up the gas station driveway, when the Prius refused to go any further. Since I was right there, I was able to grab a cup from the station, fill it up and pour it into my gas tank. The Prius then started right up and I moved it to the pump and filled her up. That happened many tens of thousands of miles ago and my 2004 still runs great. I'm fairly certain that the Prius shuts down the vehicle before you can damage the battery when you run out of gas.

I also read a post about someone who was trying to rebuild a salvage Prius. He killed the battery, b/c he tried to start the engine several times with a depleted battery, which drained it to the point of no return.

So I think the Prius shuts down before you can do any lasting harm. But if you keep trying to start it up or do anything to drain the battery after it gets into this battery safe mode, that can kill the battery. Having said that, I would recommend not running out of gas. But from personal experience I don't think it is the massive battery calamity that some posters are claiming it is. The primary danger is probably the loss of power while driving.

11. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    The first tank of gas I add to my own new PiP will probably be added this coming week.

Note: There will still be some gas left from the tank given to me by my dealer (it's just not worth the risk, no matter how curious I am). :)

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    As an employee of Toyota, she said exactly what she'd be expected to say ... and said it very convincingly I might add.
    ;)
    And ... as cwerdna mentioned, bwilson4web never paid attention to the very very very serious warnings ... running out of gas ... very very bad ... deliberately ... as many here have done ... on purpose and/or accidentally ... surprise surprise ... no worse for wear. Still ... Erica will tell you ... "very very bad". The whole thing reminds me of tire pressure 'warnings'. Yet many of PC run WAY over the 'recommended' pressures ... and the only thing 'suffered' is higher mileage ... longer wear ... better wear ... less hydroplaning. But it's very very bad. ok, far be it from me to convince anyone otherwise.