1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Running Out of Gas!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ichabod, Mar 13, 2007.

?
  1. I've never run out of gas while driving.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I've run out of gas, but only while driving in a Prius.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I've run out of gas, but only while driving a car other than a Prius

100.0%
  4. I've run out of gas while dirving both Prius and non-hybrid car(s). I've made a habit of it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I don't put gasoline in my car (this one's for you, Darell).

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I don't drive.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Mar 13 2007, 12:34 PM) [snapback]404971[/snapback]</div>
    You don't give enough options. I've run out of gas in the Prius once. That's because I believed the guess gauge and thought that even if not accurate it would be consistent. I've run out of gas in some of my other cars in the distant past. However, I'd hardly call two (or possibly 3) incidents in over a million miles a habit.

Dave M.

2. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That "habit" line was a little bit tongue-in-cheek. You can safely ignore that part and still vote for the "out of gas in multiple vehicles" option ;)

I've only come close to running out of gas once, driving a Camry wagon... it was 4am, I was driving home to Boston from an all night film shoot in Providence. I was half asleep, but I noticed the warning light after a while. After that, all the gas stations I passed were closed, and I feared that if I went out of my way looking for gas I'd only find more closed stations and run out further from home. I did make it though.

3. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Mar 13 2007, 06:10 PM) [snapback]405121[/snapback]</div>
    What he said--almost--I did run out of gas in a '75 Toyota Corolla with a REALLY faulty gas gauge...on the Mass Pike...it was in about '84. I learned then of the term "guess gauge." With the Pri--the first time it started blinking at me...despite what the earlier calculations I had figured, I pulled off at the first place I could reasonably hope to find a station. Since then, regardless of ANY other numbers, my not-quite 15k miles has told me that I have MAYBE one gallon of fuel when it starts blinking. And I am only sure about that since I ignore all the signs that say "do not top up your tank." I have found that the pump shut downs will just about always kick in when I still can go anywhere between one and two more gallons before it is REALLY full. And, yeah, I've done more than one overfill to find that out. In any case...with MY Pri, with MY driving habits--1 blinking pip is no more than one gallon left. And that can mean anything from about 30 to 50 miles, depending on conditions. If I am on the road at 2 pips--I ask my Garmin to find me a gas station in about 60 miles. If I'm around town, I go when it starts blinking, when I can get SOON-ISH to a gas station I like.

OTOH, annoying curmudgeons is fun too... :rolleyes:

4. isaac.stewart

isaac.stewart New Member

I ran out of gas in my 2006 Prius. We were driving on the interstate with 46MPG, 530 miles on the tank, and 3 blips on the tank.......538 miles lost a blip.........546 miles lost the other blip......550 miles the last blip started blinking.......554 miles the HSD turned off, and we went on sole electric for about 4 miles off an exit where the closest gas station was 7 miles away. I stopped when the battery went to one bar.

Fast forward several hours of walking

Got the car home and took it to the dealer still under warranty, and now, 3 faulty gas tanks and gauges later, I fill up when I've gone 10x the tank mileage.

I still fill up for less than $25

5. Ghostrider

Ghostrider New Member

Well sometimes it really isn't the drivers fault. My 1960 MGA had the excellent British design of a fuel guage with the needle hanging straight down from the 12:00 position. Guess what happens when the wonderfully reliable electrical system turns off juice to the guage, The needle is held at the half tank position by gravity... :lol:

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had a Jeep C-J5 with a bad gas gauge; that got me a couple of times. The other time was towing a U-Haul trailer on the toll road, which produced two compounding problems: it was farther than I thought to the next gas station, and we were burning gas much faster than I realized. I came close to running out once in an airplane - that would have been a lot worse.

Tom