1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Running Out of Gas...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SgtTurtle, May 17, 2008.

1. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, I've got that in my manual. I just assumed that "or less" meant that I had somewhere between 0.01 gallons and 3.0 gallons remaining, indicating that I'd be able to travel somewhere between 10 ft and 135 miles. I haven't heard yet of anyone finding that they ran out of gas within 10 ft of receiving the Low Fuel Warning. Did I mis-interpret the phrase "or less"?

2. offgrid

offgrid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I got gas on Sunday--new car, 1,000 miles. I was down to 2 pips (average 48.6 mpg) and was shocked to put in 10 gal (slowly)-- it sounded close, so I just quit before it officially clicked off. I read these threads extensively, I didn't want to be guilty of the dreadful overfill....

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    D'ohh!! I'd forgotten all about that. Thanks!

Anyway, the variable size of the tank bladder means that the safer interpretation of that note is "when the warning light [last pip] starts flashing, you have *no more than* three gallons of fuel left". And there may very well be none left. There's just no way to be certain. If you assume that there are always three gallons left at that point you will eventually run out.