1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Running out of OIL ??

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Charles Suitt, May 13, 2006.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 18 2006, 12:04 PM) [snapback]257574[/snapback]</div>
    Why, yes Darell. It appears that extracting oil from tar sands is a net negative in terms of energy. It takes massive amounts of electricity AND natural gas.

But, hey, as long as there's profit...

Nate

2. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 18 2006, 02:01 PM) [snapback]257573[/snapback]</div>
    That was a test of the emergency broadcast network - you passed. Maybe even a chance of you becoming an american nationalist :D

did you get than one too - sorry can't help myself today.

Have a nice one :)

3. jared2

jared2 New Member

Now here something to boggle your mind - I will soon be a, dare I say it? - dual citizen of you know which 2 countries. The xenophobic dilemnas! The divided loyalties! I won't know which way to turn! I will be interviewed on Fox news as a freak. They have to pay though - I don't do free interviews.

4. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 18 2006, 08:27 AM) [snapback]257521[/snapback]</div>

Well what can you say about the jokes/opinions expressed here. Are they funny in any way? As a Canadian I'd have to say no. How is it funny to characterize Canada as having no foreign influence, mouching from and being jealous of the US, and not even being worth immigrating to?.... it's ridiculous.

How about we stick to writing about things like cars, energy and the environment in this forum?

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Extracting oil from the tar sands uses ridiculous amounts of water, which is also a rapidly dwindling resource. While the American government is deciding whether to invade Canada for the oil or the water, we'll work on the weapons of mass destruction. ;)

6. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

You know, I have to throw this out there 'cause I hear it all the time in threads like these...

Our foreign policy...

People scream our foreign policy oppresses, kills, maims, whatever, people in foreign countries, yet who is ultimately responsible for the well being of their own citizens? Us? :lol: Plenty of greedy, corrupt, governments out there wanting to make a buck at the expense of their people, yet we're somehow responsible for this? :rolleyes:

7. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 18 2006, 03:27 PM) [snapback]257625[/snapback]</div>
    No, but the oligarchs in every country who actually control the world are responsible for the insane corruption, violence and waste. Patriotism is a joke to them - they go wherever they want and access their millions in Swiss accounts from any ATM in the world. Is that so hard to understand?

8. jared2

jared2 New Member

"Well what can you say about the jokes/opinions expressed here. Are they funny in any way? As a Canadian I'd have to say no. How is it funny to characterize Canada as having no foreign influence, mouching from and being jealous of the US, and not even being worth immigrating to?.... it's ridiculous.

How about we stick to writing about things like cars, energy and the environment in this forum?"

It is not funny. As I said, it is exactly why so many people in the world are anti-American. Living in a superpower does that to you ... you know, "Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely"

9. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 18 2006, 03:14 PM) [snapback]257616[/snapback]</div>
    You see how quickly you are learning the American capatilistic ways :D

In terms of choosing or divided loyalties - as long as you choose one, thats ok.

Again, be well my friend.

10. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 18 2006, 03:52 PM) [snapback]257645[/snapback]</div>
    I have a better idea - I choose to "be loyal" only to the truth.

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fibb222 @ May 18 2006, 03:18 PM) [snapback]257620[/snapback]</div>
    Honestly, I really like Canada and I appreciate how they have always been a partner with the US in world affairs - for the most part - and now again.

The only thing that really upset me was recently when the old government refused to "participate" in missile defense projects that would have protected both countries.

Either way, not an issue now.

Have a nice day.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 18 2006, 03:33 PM) [snapback]257631[/snapback]</div>
    Amazing how Arafart died with BILLIONS of dollars in his bank accounts and they had to pay his wife a quarter of a BILLION so she would give access to some of that money. Imagine if the Palestinians had that money to develop schools, industry, health care, etc. A true shame.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 18 2006, 03:54 PM) [snapback]257648[/snapback]</div>
    I guess that will leave you "countryless". I know not one where the truth and nothing but the truth rules. Good thing about that is you wont have to pay taxes to anyone.

And then you get into what is the "truth"....

Either way, enjoy.

12. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 18 2006, 03:57 PM) [snapback]257650[/snapback]</div>
    Well, exactly. He was, like nearly everyone, concerned with number one. As they say, scum rises to the top.

"The only thing that really upset me was recently when the old government refused to "participate" in missile defense projects that would have protected both countries."

Don't forget, that is just your opinion. What if this "missle defense project" was, like most military projects, a complete boondoogle to enrich the already wealthy by diverting tax money to the military industrial complex?
    And what if many Canadians can see this game for what it is? Now you have a right to your opinion, but Canadians have a right to a different opinion.

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 18 2006, 02:59 PM) [snapback]257650[/snapback]</div>
    If the missile defence system actually worked, and didn't cost so much, your northern neighbours might have been a little more enthusiastic about the idea.

14. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ May 18 2006, 04:21 PM) [snapback]257665[/snapback]</div>
    And if there was an actual enemy to "defend" against. The real enemies of Americans are not foreign countries. They are:

1. Heart disease
    2. Cancer
    3. A broken for-profit health care system
    4. Incompetent government
    5. An out of control military industrial complex
    6. Bad education
    7. A lapdog mass media

Can you think of any others?

15. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ May 18 2006, 04:21 PM) [snapback]257665[/snapback]</div>
    Funny thing was that Canada was not being asked to spend a dime - funnier thing - it seems to work. For references google anit missile system + Arrow -- it is an Israeli weapons system anti missile missile that has been deployed for several years and has been tested successfully against multiple incoming threats with smart payload delivery systems.

Enthusiasm should be tempered by the fact that Canada spends nothing on its own national defense, has a national military that would be viewed as a joke if were to be actually threatened by outside forces (I doubt Canada could defend itself from Israel, Iran, North Korea, etc ) only because the US spends $400+ Billion and offers Canada the security found in being a neighbor and friend??

16. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 18 2006, 04:34 PM) [snapback]257673[/snapback]</div>
    I thought you were done?? Back for more...

1. Heart disease i thought affects all humans and not just Americans - so maybe we will get some help in this fight - or is this only our responsibility too like defending the weak or the unwilling
    2. Ditto #1 + please notice how #3 our for - profit health care system has made thousands more advances in the treatment of cancer than your cheaper to let them die system has. Name one major advance in the treatment of cancer made in Canada. How many bone marrow transplants does your system allow. How about Herceptin?? How many women are on that now??? Or are they letting them get substandard care and dying earlier. What a joke - your ok in canada if you are not too sick - other than that do what every other canadian does - cross the border and get real health care. rumor has it your courts ruled your health care system violated some basic laws regarding human rights???????? is private insurance available in canada yet?? i wonder why. animals get better care there than humans. dont see too many over charged Americans heading north for that advanced care. Name a leading medical journal or two there if you can. dont see too many foreigners headed there for training either - only if they cant get a spot in a US hospital...
    3. must go on from above. any people are waiting how long for bypass surgery?? hernia repair. dont lie to me because my uncle is a surgeon in Toronto and I know how they stop working later in the year when the government runs out of money. how health care costs in canada are skyrocketing , how they dont include certain basic care in their statistics, how advanced technology that we have here like water like PET scanners are as scarce as tanks there.
    4. you actually are doing better here now that a CONSERVATIVE won election there and they are putting into place proper judges etc. you have a chance at resurecting your economy - oops - I mean a branch of our economy. our government has done a good enough job and yours a bad enough job that --- where are you living now my friend???? you are free to go back to your panacea up there and sing kumbaya.
    5. right - tell me the canadian version of MIT, Cal Tech, Harvard - my kids public elementary school system would rock your world - 100% networked, smart boarded, the level of physics, math science being taught there would rival your local community college if not even higher.
    6. yah - cnn is a lapdog as is the ny times, kumbaya my friend kumbaya.

off to my Krav Maga class and then some target practice with my Glock.

Shalom

17. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 18 2006, 04:35 PM) [snapback]257674[/snapback]</div>
    On the other hand, Canadians are well defended against cancer, heart disease, illiteracy and mass media brainwashing, as are the Swiss, the Swedes, Finns, etc. You have bought into the paronoid idea that the whole world is bristling with military threats, which is exactly why you are so willing to give up your tax dollars, your freedoms, your life even. Have you ever considered that your model of reality may be flawed? Like any religious zealot, I know you will always be able to defend your world view against all evidence. Just remember that there are other views than your own.

18. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Solve the Israeli/Palestinian conflict.

:ph34r:

19. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 18 2006, 04:34 PM) [snapback]257673[/snapback]</div>

Addendum: You are right in that Canada does have a very good educational system. I want to thank you for that seeing how tens of thousands of well educated Canadians move here every year after getter a very good and very free education from Canada. Funny how they all think American Capitalism provides them with a better future than staying in Canada - sounds kind of familiar?? I guess that must have something to do with our government???

20. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 18 2006, 10:02 AM) [snapback]257454[/snapback]</div>
    To: dbermanmd:

In this post you imply that Canadians are weak, cowardly, lazy and stupid. I do not accept your reponse that this is merely a joke. It is deeply insulting and has no place on this forum. While I have often criticized American foreign policy, I have never insulted Americans in this way. I know it reflects your true thoughts, and I have no hope or desire to change your "thoughts". I do expect an apology, however.