1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Running the air conditioner continuously while charging - any possible issues?

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Pdog808, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'm sure that there are a few peeps who end up sitting at an outdoor charger in the hot sun while waiting for their Prime to finish charging. I like to break out my Kindle and kick back in my Prime occasionally. Unfortunately, if you are parked outside in SoCal the Prime's interior can get quite... toasty.

I did a post earlier about running the air conditioner using the remote A/C function and have made use of this quite often. Just FYI - the vehicle appears to charge at about the same rate even with the A/C on as far as I can tell. Keep in mind the A/C will run for 10 minutes then shut off. You can hit the remote A/C button and start it right back up again.

The question I am asking is does anyone see any issues running the air conditioning for extended periods while the vehicle is stationary? I'm wondering if there would be any overheating issues with the heat pump if no air is being circulated through vehicle movement.

2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's why it has a fan.

3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wouldn't worry too much about it (…see my recent thread about tweaking my ScanGauge-II while sitting in my parked Gen II during 90+F heatwave. Yes, using the A/C pulls the TractionBattery down (to about 40%, but the ICE cycles to bring it back up to ~60%) I let the computers in the car do their thing. (Fiendishly clever, those darned Japanese! ;)) Don't worry, just sit back and enjoy that nice, cool air! Mmmmmm! :):)

Oh, BTW, fitted sunscreens (see Ye Olde PriusChatte Shoppe) are a Good Thing in this hot weather! I have them front and rear and they really help keep the cabin temps down! (…which includes the TractionBattery (also a Good Thing))

#3 WilDavis, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Pdog808 likes this.