1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

rural mail carriers?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by jsrichjr, Aug 6, 2012.

1. jsrichjr

jsrichjr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are there any rural mail carriers using a Prius v ? I've used a 2005 for over 6 years. In 2010 they changed the center console and it cant be removed to sit in the middle. It looks like the console in the Prius v can be removed. Can it? 182000 hard miles on mine and still going but starting to feel like I'm pushing my luck.

2. Corpus Delicti

Corpus Delicti Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am seriously considering a Prius V for mail delivery, a 2012 or perhaps a 2013 now. My route is 46 miles with quite a bit of gravel roads but I'm a little worried about the low clearance on a Prius. Also, can anyone with a Prius V tell me if it looks like the plastic piece that runs from the center console to the dash can be removed? Is it a separate piece from the center console? I would like to keep the center console in place (if possible) but the plastic piece that extends forward would have to go in order to reach the pedals with my leg from the passenger side. Any input appreciated.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I can say that I touch down in the front and back much less in the v than I did in the Gen 2. So sharp dips are less a worry.

4. Corpus Delicti

Corpus Delicti Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Jimbo, thanks very much for your input.

5. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I also was considering the v as a mail vehicle (54 mile route) since I delivered mail from my gen 2 from the passenger side with the console removed. I figured that the EMA would pay the vehicle payments AND the gas! Unfortunately, shortly after test driving the v in October of 2011, I found out that I was getting an LLV.

I did inquire (at the dealership) as to the removal / modification of the center console and was told (at that time) that it could not be done. I am not sure if anyone has tried removing the front portion of the console and moving the main unit back a few inches.

The LLV is great until there is snow on the ground: no traction, one-wheel drive, poor heat, and slides all over the road! The USPS has suspended the use of studded tires!