1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rush Limbaugh on Prius Owners

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dvdirv, Dec 1, 2005.

1. daver969

daver969 New Member

My X cents (where X is a value to be determined by the end of this post):

1) Rush Limbaugh is making a blanket statement, the kind which are rarely universally true. I know in my own case, I would have liked to buy the HCH, because I don't really care about making a statement, I just want to get good mileage and reduce pollution a little. But it doesn't have the features the Prius has which I want: hatchback, cool display, etc., so I'm picking the Prius.

2) Rush seems to me to be not so much a person interested in analyzing a situation and reaching a conclusion (whatever it may be), as instead someone who starts with a conclusion and gives an analysis that supports it. He is not the only person who does this, people on both the left and the right do it all the time. It's politics. Or cheerleading, whichever you prefer. But I think it's important to see him for what he is, a person pushing a certain point of view, not a person trying to be as unbiased as possible in uncovering reality. I myself find little use for him, as I'd prefer to hear the opinions of people who are more interested in understanding reality than pushing their cookie.

3) Rush also seems to me to be a person with a strong dislike (if not hate) for certain groups of people. He demonstrates this by labeling them with demeaning names ("feminazi's") and generally denigrating them ("they are just so ugly they can't get dates with men") (Again, blanket generalizations, btw). He seems to revel in this, to enjoy putting them down. As a Christian who has some liberal and some conservative views, he strikes my as decidedly unChrist-like. I find it funny that people have a hard time see this in him, saying things like "you'd take any statement opposing your views as hate!" Huh? In his case it's very easy to see and feel his antipathy. He oooozes it.

Hmmm, I guess X=3.

P.S. 2006 Driftwood Pearl, loaded to the gills (sans leather), hopefully mid January!

2. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

Ah... The sound of liberal undies in a bunch... quite horrible really...

3. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Au contraire, the sound of the mindless diatribes of dittoheads.

:lol:

4. Ghoti

Ghoti Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    People, please!

Let's just take is as a given that the Dittoheads and the Frankenites are not going to convince each other, of the correctness of their view, and that the people caught in the middle are just hearing meaningless screeching noise from both sides.

This is a nice place, there's no reason to start pounding on one another based on which talk radio host we may listen to.

Let's dispense with the posts about who has gotten whom's knickers in a twist, and get back to talking about our fantastic car!

5. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Whatever your political slant, i think we can all agree (since we're all prius people) that Rush is wrongly generalizing about Prius owners.

this discussion should show that we're all different, and we're not all liberals that Rush hates... and it's unfair to accuse a conservative of being a hypocrite because they drive a Prius.

Which is why I think it's kind of foolish for Rush to make such a statement... or to say anything so general on the air (my understanding is that he does it somewhat frequently...)... his shotgun method will probably catch a number of people on his side of the fence too.

Whatever. The Prius rocks, and for many more reasons than the one that Rush thinks. That's fine by me.

6. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Years ago I used to think Rush had some good points, but I think he has lost good reason and popularity, so now he has to gender controversy any way he can to score ratings... He doesn't really care if the subject has a sound arguement.. as long as there "is" arguement... he's happy and so makes money.

Rush has lost his ability to think outside the box into other peoples Paradigms... He now thinks he "is" the box!

I guess thats a sign of old age!

7. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You shouldn't be. How is it that "conserve" is not part of conservative? Teddy Rosevelt is rolling over in his grave.

8. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I agree..but his is too tame, that is why we don't like it.

My older brother is liberal by my definition. We got into a huge argument about some environmental issue awhile backe and it was while we were almost yelling that it hit me...we both want the same results, our arguments were about HOW we would achieve them.

I lament the conservative/liberal fight because it clouds the issue. HOW are we going to solve hunger, illiteracy, racism, environmental issues? Instead, the extremists on BOTH sides accuse the other side of not even WANTING to solve the problems.

We all have a common link, the Prius, let us start there.

9. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Well, I did see on a post somewhere (not here) that you got a Prius in order to make a statement and got a Civic or Accord hybrid in order to "fit in."

Whether that's true or not I don't know. Maybe I'm making a statement, but I got the Prius because of the technology and environment.

P.S. A friend said that Rush also said you can't wave to a Prius owner because they will ignore you (due to their own feeling of self-importance). Is that true?

10. habel

habel New Member

Rush who???

It's a big world - and I doubt this guy is well known outside of the US. So why should I care about a single opinion from someone I never even heard of ? :lol:

11. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Here I go with my annoying questions again.

Are there "talk radio" stations in Norway? (People call in, on-air, and express opinions on the issues of the day; usually hosted NOT by an "objective" person, but by a "conservative" or "liberal".) For that matter, is "politics" even a matter of popular, public discussion? If so, what are one or two "hot" issues? :)

12. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So Limbaugh is concerned about people "making statements" with their Prius? Isn't "making statements" what this guy does all day long for a living?

13. dannored

dannored New Member

I've listened to Rush for years. This is the first time I ever thought he was a knucklehead. He should check out the Prius and get his act together. He sounded close minded. He reasoned based on emotion, not facts. Rush thinking like a liberal?

14. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A few comments:
    1. Yes they may feel self important!.. I think everybody should, don't you?
    Theres enough in this world to lie to you and tell you your not worth anything.....
    having a prius may tend to only awaken one to their self importance!... Kinda like slipping on a nice 30,000.00 suit!
    Nothing like "stylin and profilelin" while going out to dinner!

2. But I really question whether prius drivers think thier "better" than anybody else, maybe smarter!. If this was so, its unique to the immaturity of one person, not the whole group of prius buyers?...

3. And the reason they don't wave, maybe because they have cool readouts and toys to play with while driving!... I surprised there aren't more accidents! :lol:

15. Panther87

Panther87 Junior Member

Perhaps Rush is due for a random drug test?!? :p

16. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So if you take drugs and are addicted to them, does that make you a liberal or a conservative?

17. Panther87

Panther87 Junior Member

Depends if you want them legalized, I would guess. And what kind of drugs your using.

18. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've listened to him on and off for years too. 1/2 the time I agree w/ the guy and 1/2 either I don't or the argument is so inane that I don't care.

The sad thing is that for some reason the idea of "conserve" no longer seems to be in vogue with many conservatives. Not to turn this into a political rant, but there is a large divergence among the current republican leadership from traditional republican positions on foreign policy and domestic spending, to name a few. You would think the Prius would be the perfect Republican car -- high in function, delivers great value and utilizes resources in an utmost efficient manner. Capitalism on wheels, if you will. Sadly the values today seem to be less focused on efficiency and more on overindulgence / I've got mine who cares at what cost to everyone else. But then again, maybe I'm reading too much into it... ;)

19. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My credit to Rush is that he is "or used to be" very intelligent... a "thinker"... the only problem is that he is an imperfect thinker!... but none of us are.
    Kinda like a perfect weapon used the wrong way.... a brain is a terrible thing to waste you know! :huh:
    Its just another amazing demonstration of paradigms. We all see life from different angles and views... the reality is all the same..but our perception is imperfect.

Everyone is right in thier own eyes.... except those that are wise enough to know different.
    Many become a legend in thier own mind... a reality unto themselves!
    Some are so hung on thiemselves that they think if a tree fell and they didn't see it, then it didn't happen! :lol:

Rush has learned to make money from sparring those viewpoints against each other... but he is not very objective.... he proclaims his own views as gospel too much. But again, thats part of his game too.

20. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What kind?... its always the good kind of course!