1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rust on a new Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by armyvet282, Mar 11, 2014.

1. armyvet282

armyvet282 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi guys,

So I was checking my oil the other day and something caught my eye... It looks like some rust is developing to the left of the engine. Is this normal? I've only had my Prius for less than six months.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No worries. Take a look at some suspension components, or the disk brakes: they do rust.

3. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very normal and it gets worse depending on where you live during this winter.
    Salt was used so much I can only imagine what new rust will appear this year.

4. armyvet282

armyvet282 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sure thing, I'll check everything on the next oil change at 5K. I'm just surprised to see rust in the engine block when the car is still so new. :( Plus, it's not like the engine is exposed to water, unlike brakes or suspension, and I live 200+ miles away from the nearest coast, so sea salt in the air shouldn't be a factor, either.

5. armyvet282

armyvet282 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    rrg, thanks for the reply. I live in the Southeast, and there had been no salt on the roads as far as I remember. The couple times the roads iced over this winter the whole place was just shut down until everything thawed out. I'm just puzzled to see rust forming so soon in a place where I wouldn't expect it to form yet.

6. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Quite normal. There was another thread on this several months back.

Mine also had some rust on it when it was only 2 weeks old. I did spray a bit of rust inhibitor oil on it but that's only visual since it only covers the part I can see. I know there are other parts that I can't see that are likely looking rusty.

7. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That is a massive nodular cast iron mounting bracket. It will last for many many years longer than the car, itself.

So, there is no need at all to worry.

If you don't like the look, brush off the rust and treat it with rust converter. The, brush some black paint onto the part.

The touch up would be for your peace of mind and cosmetic purposes only.

STEELJBS likes this.
  8. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Duplicate...

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If that upsets you wait till you see the suspension.

Apply this product:

Blaster Corrosion Stop Protectant - PB Blaster

Found at Home Depot. Its an excellent product a spray grease that stays where you put it and does not smell.
    Spray it everywhere that needs lubrication. Hinges-locks-bolt heads. Spray it on those rusts spots you linked and they will stop rusting.

Spray the entire suspension underneath especially the lower control arm bushings. Don't go crazy just a little bit.
    Nothing on my car is rusted and no squeaks or rattles. And underneath looks brand new.

While your going to town under the car apply rubber conditioner to the cvt joint boots. They will last a long long time if you don't let them dry out. I like Black magic Protectant.

Its a machine. It needs lubrication.

10. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Rust? You're concerned by that? Boy I've seen it all now.

That is absolutely and perfectly normal. If the entire item was covered in it and bubbling then you have a problem. What you have is know in the trade as 'nothing'. ;)

11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just noticed this rust in the exact same area in my Prius.

I don't think it is functionally any reason for concern.

It just seems to appear quickly and is so visible when you pop the hood that it can be "shocking" to suddenly look down and see "rust" where none seemed to be just weeks earlier.

Since it is so visible, when I get around to it, I might clean it off and use some inhibitor...just so it looks better.

12. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, I really wouldn't worry about it. You will be rid of the car long before it falls apart due to rust in like 40 years or whatever.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Heavy, forged suspension components are not stainless, and the manufacturer knows it's going to rust, it in no way compromises it's strength. It's not a readily visible, cosmetic part. It would be a fools mission to even try to remedy it, would end up looking worse. Have a look under the car, and you'll see lots more. Or the suspension components in the wheel wells, disc brakes, and on and on.

STEELJBS likes this.
  14. armyvet282

armyvet282 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Okay then. Just wanted to check with the Prius community and make sure this was normal. :)

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  15. STEELJBS

STEELJBS New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Some parts are made with steel that is meant to form a small layer of rust. It will only form a surface rust with no loss of integrity. If you look at a lot of bridges and big transmission towers they haven't been painted and rusted over, but the rust stops and thats by design. Not to worry.