1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rust on Motor Mount?

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by Bicyclematt, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Bicyclematt

Bicyclematt New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Totally new to Priuses. We are looking at a 2012 Prius C with 70K miles. Our biggest (maybe only) hesitation is some rust we saw on what the dealer's mechanic said was an engine mount (am trying to add photo to post). We also noticed some moisture inside one of the rear lights.

We believe that the prior owner spent time near the Jersey Shore so that could explain the rust, and the dealer's mechanic said the rust was all superficial (although it seemed pretty bubbly to me). He said that the important thing is the rubber seal in the center and that it felt normal when he pushed on it.

Some of the clamps and nuts were rusty, but that seems like normal wear and tear.

Should the rust seen in the photo scare us off? This is our first time ever buying a used car so we're nervous. We don't have a trusted mechanic near us and this dealership is not close enough where they'll let us take it there, anyway.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It's unusual to see that much rust on that part. This car has seen a lot of salt air if not actual salt water.

When I want to know the answer to "how much flood is too much flood" I put a clean white rag under the front seat. If it comes back orange from rust on the seat springs, then the car was in too much flood.

I think you found a Sandy survivor. That wouldn't automatically disqualify it in my eyes, but it would have to be a heck of a deal.

ztanos likes this.
  3. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The valve cover shows signs of "nasty". I would avoid this car with a passion. My 2012 with 107k miles looks spotless compared to this picture. I've never cleaned it.
    I guess the difference is the salt and snow factor of the north, but still...

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I get the impression from the picture that the seller did a pressure wash the engine bay, but there's nothing they can do to hide the advancing corrosion. I would take a close look at the underbody, suspension components.

I'm not too impressed with Toyota's rust prevention measures, couple that with a car that's seen more than the usual exposure to moisture and salt, and it's one I would shy away from.

Georgina Rudkus likes this.