1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rust on rotors with pic

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by dig4dirt, Mar 24, 2020.

1. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Have not driven my gen3 in a while since the pandemic.
    Here is a pic that shows surface rust in full form.
    I plan to do some in neutral stops to combat it as soon as I drive it again. As I don't want to let that interfere with the brake pads over time.

I do have my 12v batt tender hooked up to jump points for the time being.

15850691764221369640288.jpg

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yep, that's what mine looked like when we got back from florida

3. Ed Beaty

Ed Beaty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you are finicky (like me), and want to clean that rust up easily, you can drive the car slowly in reverse and steadily apply the brakes, OR proceed forward below 7 mph and gently/steadily apply the brakes, giving enough gas to keep your speed.

That wee bit of rust won't affect your mechanical brakes when/if you need 'em, though (but I'm finicky).

dig4dirt likes this.
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you in a hard enough lockdown that you are not allowed to go do it today? This is something that can certainly be done without violating any social distancing rules or bans on gatherings.

Out here, automobile repair and maintenance falls under "essential business".

dig4dirt likes this.
  5. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Fully understand.

I was mainly posting to show a nice pic, and maybe give a heads up to folks that have this issue
    during some vehicles downtime atm.

My county I live in is NOT under a stay at home lockdown, however we are not using the vehicle atm,
    and I can and will drive it when I feel it is necessary....prob within the week if gas prices keeps dropping lol.

edit: Surrounding counties are under a SAH situation and it may spread to ours in the future,
    however I have a long enough driveway to remedy it if necessary, or when I need to do a grocery run etc.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we're in a sah, but driving is not an issue

7. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It’s called “Flash Rust” and is not anything to worry about in the short term. Your first brake application is enough to clean the rotors’ surfaces. BTW, it will sound like metal to metal grinding when you first apply the brakes. Not to worry.

Robert Holt and dig4dirt like this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah if I wash the car, and then it sits for multiple days, the brakes sound noisy for the first block or two. You'll hear noise with every application of the brakes, even up to 50 kmh.

Robert Holt and dig4dirt like this.
  9. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    As others have noted, light flash rust is nothing to be concerned about if the vehicle is driven regularly. But if it sits idle for months, it could damage the rotors. I learned that one summer when I parked my car and used my motorcycle as my exclusive mode of transportation. After a couple of months of sitting in the driveway, the rotors were so pitted they needed to be replaced.

fuzzy1 and dig4dirt like this.
  10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My first brake application is usually not enough to clean the rotors' surfaces. It is, however, the first brake application that makes the dragging-a-box-of-bricks noise that alerts me that I have the rust (as I don't usually peek at the rotors before getting in the car).

Then I correct the problem by shifting to N before the next two stop signs on the way out of the neighborhood. The box-of-bricks noise is almost always gone by the end of the second stop in N.

These do not have to be any l kind of elaborate production, no driving extra fast down the block or braking extra hard. Just a matter of leaning the shifter over to N while approaching a stop sign normally.

If I don't do that, the box-of-bricks noise will usually follow me all the way to work, and most of the way back (or all the way back, if it was still raining during the day while I worked).

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I find the noise clears up without any special tricks. Again, in just a few blocks. FWIW, we're garage parked, maybe less dew makes a difference.

12. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It may help to remove the pads and rub the side that contacts the pad on concrete in a figure 8 pattern.
    You can also use sand paper, but concrete with work, like a driveway or side walk. Do it until you see a
    evenly clean surface. Remember to put each pad back in the same place you removed them.
    They may be dirty and do this should clean the built up rust out. At least for a while.
    Also, if you drive in reverse and apply the brakes a few times that will also help.
    Apply the peddle lightly, that will clean off the surface rust without embedding into the pad.

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The couple-of-ordinary-stops-in-Neutral method is what was recommended to me right here on PriusChat a dozen years ago when I got my first Gen 1, has always worked for me, and is super easy and takes no extra time or effort (I was going to stop for those stop signs anyway, right?). I would feel like an animal listening to that sound for more of my drive, when it's that easy to clear up.