1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rust proofing......the added benefit of "mouseproofing"

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mike500, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Having read the many issues that other PriusChat members has with mouse intrusion, I started to wonder why I have NEVER had the problem of mouse intrusion with any of my cars over the past 45 years.

I can't prove it, but it might be the "rustproofing" that I've misted into the interior cavities of every car that I've owned.

I'm talking about the light yellow stuff available in aerosol cans that have a wand or straw on the nozzle.

The stuff doesn't damage wiring or plastics. It's got to be the petroleum smell and the other waxes that repels them from coming in and chewing on anything.

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    seems reasonable to me. do others around you have issues?

Mike500 likes this.
  3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yes,

They've had field mice problems, and when I lived in San Diego, some had pack rat problems.

A 16 oz can of rustproofing costs about $15. I bought several cans of the stuff for my 2012 Prius"v" and coated almost all of the interior cavities except the roof under the headliner.

spiderman likes this.
  4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Never had a mouse problem and never rustproofed either. Thought you knew correlation does not imply causation.

5. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I don't understand....Isn't this what I said?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but that doesn't prove a negative. someone with constant mouse problems would have to try it. if i did, i'd try anything.

7. Ovals49

Ovals49 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Had evidence of fall visitors in the glove box this fall in rural KY (shredded paper and little turds) within 2 days of our arrival. Fashioned hardware cloth barrier on main cabin air intake (below windshield wiper shroud in firewall). Has worked perfectly for past couple of months. Will post photos and how-to when my life returns to normal. ​
    Another solution I heard about subsequently uses chemistry to make the car unattractive to rodents: Horse liniment soaked gauze pads placed on top of each wheel at night. They absolutely won't go near the stuff. Since the wheels are the main access point for mice (I doubt they can make the jump from the ground to the undercarriage), this effectively places roadblocks on all major mouse highways. I am leery of making the cars passenger compartment a toxic environment with the general application of solvent based goo in multiple nooks and crannies.​

8. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    During the Cold War Era, the CIA would use road kill rats and other animals covered with Tabasco sauce to keep scavengers from eating their "dead drops. I don't think that it would be very viable in a Prius.

9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Follow MouseProofing the Prius | PriusChat rather than some unproven method like in the OP.

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just keep a cat around the house..... ;)

11. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Unproven? 50 years with not one mouse, rat or other animal intrusion in nearly every climate in the Continental United States is enough proof for me.

12. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No rustproofing here and not one rodent either, but that doesn't prove anything. Someone like you who make braces should know better.

13. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Grading oranges with a scale for rating apples. I'm at a loss for such judgmental statements.

No further comment is needed from me.