1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rust spots due to rock chips … remediation advice

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by 15SuperPrius, Mar 29, 2022.

1. 15SuperPrius

15SuperPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi folks,

So my Prius has aged gracefully and looks phenomenal for the age and mileage. However, after a full detail today, I noticed that the leading edge of the roof has two small rust spots which I am sure originated as rock chips, and combined with bug acid things probably took a turn for the worse.

Has anyone dealt with something similar? I don’t want to have the roof resprayed because of these two spots. So far I’ve tried using Rust-Oleum’s Rust Reformer to eliminate/inhibit the rust, and tomorrow I plan to use a Sanding Prep-Pen (since there isn’t room for sanding without affecting a larger area beyond the damage) to sand the surface a bit before applying touch up paint. Other than that, I’m not sure what else to do.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm sure car detailers have a bunch of ways to address this... But us DIY detailers, we just get 'em full of too much polish and wax so they don't look rusty. :)