1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rusted front exhaust pipe / resonator (2008 gen 2 Prius)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by utterprius, Aug 18, 2018.

1. utterprius

utterprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2008 Prius (gen 2) with 170,000 miles. It was bought used so I do not know its history.

My front exhaust pipe recently rusted through in one area and has disconnected from the rear exhaust pipe (see image), about 6 inches from where it is screwed to the rear muffler.

As far as I know, apart from this rust, the front exhaust assembly is otherwise fine, i.e. the catalytic converter is functional, no codes, etc.

To replace the entire OEM front exhaust part (17410-21500) would be very expensive: $1000+ Should I do this?

As one alternative: If I got an aftermarket resonator only (to connect between the rear muffler and catalytic converter), would it be legal (I am in NY) to have that welded or patched in by a mechanic, in terms of emissions rules?

Another option, less permanent but much less costly, might be to just use a short exhaust pipe and exhaust clamps to connect the severed pipes across the rusted section. Is that a reasonable option?

Thanks very much for any thoughts!

Attached Files:

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bummer... With all them miles on the exhaust system in a place with so much salt to prevent icing, I'd just patch the busted section and plan to either buy a new exhaust system in the future, or sell the car before that and buy another used Prius in a more southern part of the country where this kind of corrosion is not an issue.

3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Something looks suspiciously non-stock about this exhaust already.

The OEM exhaust components are stainless steel (AFAIK). It kind of looks in the photo as if some of that piping was conspicuously not stainless....

-Chap

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Icy roads and loads of salt? Low grade stainless steel? Or maybe previous owner drove over something that damaged it and they got it replaced with junk?

6. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

My 06 rear pipe died at 60,000 and the donut between the block and exhaust needed replacement.
    Routine maintenance.

That picture shows a rusted piece, not stock, and saving pennies costs pounds.