1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rustling in Ventilation System - Can Debris Be Vacuumed Out?

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by NEHiker, Sep 12, 2023.

1. NEHiker

NEHiker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Recently, the air from the vents in my 2017 Prius Prime was less than fresh. I changed out the cabin air filter and found evidence of a mouse nest (fluffy shredded filter). I vacuumed as much out of the cabin air filter cavity behind the glove box as I could. The odor is gone, but I think there is filter debris trapped in the ventilation system that I can't easily see/access. When I turn the fan on, there is a disturbing, papery rustling sound coming from the area near the glove box and the passenger seat vents. I'm quite sure it's not actual rodents moving around in there, as there is no noise when the fan is off. Question -- is there some way to vacuum/suction out this debris from the cabin air filter area without tearing apart the whole car? (As a side note, I brought the car to the dealer when it first smelled and they suggested that I pay $8K for them to remove the dashboard and to charge it to my auto insurance. Uh...no) Thanks in advance. I would be most happy to drive my car again without feeling like alien life forms are going to burst out of the vents at any moment :)