1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rusty 2002, need advice

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by beth524, Jul 25, 2018.

1. beth524

beth524 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My trusty car, with 130,000 miles is finally rusty enough that it may be unsafe. The lower sub frame and suspension parts are pretty rusted through. I have taken great care of the car, it runs well, there was a new hybrid battery at 65,000 miles, really no mechanical issues.

What would you do? I could possibly replace the rusty parts, but that would be pretty costly. How would I find someone who might be interested in my car for parts? I figure Prius Chat is a good start, as you all have given me so much advice over the last 16 years with this car. Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    c/l i suppose. but maybe you could find a non rusty one and swap batteries.

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Time to donate it to a good cause and move on.
    It can’t be inspected so it’s ded

4. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Donate it to your local Public Radio. They'll send it to an auction and get a portion of whatever it brings. It's done it's duty and deserves a rest.

5. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably finding a non rusty one in N. New York would not be so easy. RIP little car!

6. beth524

beth524 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm thinking of trying to find a non rusty one down south for sale, and using my old one if I need parts. I am so familiar with this car, and hate to let it go.

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    watch out for 'flood cars', all the best!(y)

8. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2002 Toyota Prius hybrid - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale I know a long way from NY. 1st gens are kinda dear at this time in S. AZ. but it's a great place to look for good chassis. It's dry, no snow or salt, no rust (at all), and Prius interiors seem to be able to stay nice here.

An alternative would be to look for 2nd Gen Prius's. Prices are almost as low as Classics. If I were changing cars, I'd probably spend the money and get a Highlander hybrid. My sister has one and they use it to pull their tent camper all over the west. Hers is 10 years old and never misses a beat.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota should start taking responsibility, do some galvanizing or something.

10. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's the same as it ever was, maybe a little better. Cars in the US where there's snow are subjected to salty slushy water for 4 months a year--the salt causes corrosion and the car turns to rusty flakes. I grew up in W. Michigan, I had a 5 year old Corvair--rusted out hood and floorboards. If you tried to loosen the lug nuts, you ran the risk of breaking the lug bolts--replacing lug bolts was a very common occurrence. I had a big fancy Ford Convertible that was ten years old--the rear bumper literally fell off when I went over a bump. I had a 10 year old VW convertible that the top wouldn't fold right because parts were rust welded or broken. Believe me, Mendel, cars are much better than they used to be.

When I was a kid, people would go looking for cars from California or AZ, or even from south of the snow belt. We in the southwest are soo spoiled by our wonderful old cars that have fasteners that don't break when you loosen them and unrusted body & chassis parts.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I find Honda's somewhat better in this regard, both suspension frame members and bolts. I've also heard some of the better rust-preventative coatings are now banned, concerns about health issues?

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm starting to wonder if some of that is just generalized gummint's-always-wrong grumpiness. A few years ago I found this chart of Toyota plating specs:

[​IMG]

You can see where the old 6500G standards were obsoleted and replaced by the 6524G ones that are free of hexavalent chromium (the aforementioned health concern). From all the grumbling about the phase-out, you would expect the salt-spray hour ratings to be a lot lower for the new stuff, but notice you really don't, in fact the new stuff is darned good. It really shows up in the thinnest coatings: see how a five micron plate of the 6524G has almost three times the hours-to-red-rust as the old must-have-been-better-because-it-was-phased-out stuff?

Wouldn't you love to have some stuff plated in zinc-nickel though? Get a load of those salt-spray hours. My local plating shop doesn't do any, though.

-Chap

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With the couple of Hondas I'm crawling under, the frame members and bolts/fasteners seem to look very stable: dark grey, with only minor hints of rusts. Our Prius comparably, seems to rust if you look at it cross-eyed, lol. Bolts and screws quickly rust, framing starts rusting very quickly at any welds, and spreads.

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I hear you. I just, looking at that chart, am skeptical that much of it really boils down to the "everything was dandy back when Cr(VI) didn't cause cancer" kind of narrative.

I figure it must come down more to just the everyday economic decisions Honda and Toyota must be making about which thickness of which treatment to spec for which parts.

I discovered the electroplating shop in town, who did a lovely job replating some old brake hardware for me. I'm curious about e-coating and keep looking for a shop that does that and will take one-off jobs, but so far, none I've tried return my messages.

-Chap

[​IMG]

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    An icy road can help you wreck your car during the winter.

A salt-rusted car can crumble out from under you any time of year.

I don't think there are enough benefits in salting the roads.

16. sandy11246

sandy11246 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Check Craigslist, Dallas TX. Saw a Gen1 there they are parting out. Looks complete except may they pulled the engine for sale. Can not see front in pics but rest ppears to have some minor damage to right quarter as I remember. Depending on shipping it might be of interest to you. Same color as our '03 (light gold) so had thought about it myself. There is contact info (phone #) hope this helps. Peace

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. beth524

beth524 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It breaks my heart to see so many Classics for sale with pristine, rust free bodies! I have had little luck finding anything with reasonable mileage at a reasonable price. Thanks for any leads you all might have.

18. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Me too. You might private message Dierdra Rogers and see what you can work out with her. If she would sell it cheaply enough, you could have it shipped to you, slap your battery in it, fix whatever else it would need, and have a decent lo mileage Prius. She's in a northern suburb of San Francisco.

19. beth524

beth524 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I have found a 2001, rust free, low mileage in VA. Going to look at it tomorrow and hopefully drive it home!

20. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yaay!