1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rusty 2002, need advice

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by beth524, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Beth bought the low mileage 01 in VA and is on her way back to upstate NY. Sounds like a nice car.

Congrats!

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    16 years in operation is pretty good for any make of cars in the snow belt. The longest Iasted car I had was 15 years old Civic with holes on fender from rust. It still ran fine, but could no longer pass the inspection, so I sold it to a junkyard. Same with 13 years old Sienna with rusted differentials.

I wonder what she is going to do with her rusted Pri.:love:

3. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The original idea was to find a nice rust free example and transfer stuff over. But her new one has only 62, 000 on it so that plan may have changed. The battery in the rusty one is only at about 60k since it was replaced, so it's new to middle aged. A lot of the good stuff is going to be pretty corroded, tho. If I were interested, I'd message Beth and find out what she has in mind.

Salamander_King likes this.
  4. beth524

beth524 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was going to keep the old one and use parts as needed. I am not sure though if the hybrid battery can sit unused for a long period and still be good. But if anyone wants to ask about it, feel free. The body and external parts are very rusty but interior, lights, etc are really in great shape.