1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RWD BEV future, my concern...

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by Isaac Zachary, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone else notice that EV's are signaling a return to RWD? It looks like most BEV committed manufactures, like Tesla and Volkswagen, are going to make RWD and AWD the only options. No FWD.

Now, to be fair, there's a big difference between your average front-engine/rear-wheel drive ICEV and a slightly rear weight biased RWD BEV. Stability control and such should make these cars just as easy to drive and as safe as FWD cars from spinouts and the like, even on snow and ice.

The only real concern. If you do get stuck in the snow or mud or whatever, then you won't be able to steer your drive wheels. Unless you get the AWD version of course. But if you're cheap like me and have always gotten by with FWD, well it may be a little harder getting unstuck once we get to that BEV future.

Of course, on the other hand you have some annalists saying AWD will be much cheaper than ever before on future electric vehicles. But as it stands now, my next EV will probably be a used RWD Tesla model 3. That will likely be the first BEV that both fits my needs and budget. Or wait several years later for the AWD models to come down in price.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    prius has never been particularly effective in snow. i do think awd is the future, but how long until it gets here?

3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I found the RWD EVs handle much better in snow than any FWD ICE vehicle I ever drove.
    While I have had a lot of winter experience in Minnesota, this does not include off-roading.

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  4. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know. A new Tesla goes for some $3,500 more if you get the AWD version with the same options. But it seems a lot of times you can't get the AWD and RWD versions with the same other options, like same battery size, making the AWD substantially more expensive, like $9,000 more expensive.

Buying even some future BEV at $20,000, $3,500 more on the price tag would be a lot. $9,000 more would be insane.

5. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In what way? It seems most people point out that they accelerate better, which makes a lot of sense. But what about cornering, braking, or just plain getting unstuck?

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    People were getting unstuck with RWD before the FWD revolution. It may mean being better prepared with shovels and traction aids, but I generally need those when truly stuck with FWD to.

In regards to snow, I'd think the lower ground clearance aerodynamic cars have will have a bigger impact on whether a car gets stuck than which axle is driven.

7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    VW has plenty of experience with RWD rear engine cars, and specifically the foibles of that weight distribution.

I did a lot of miles in the old rear-engine ones, including a lot on soft improvised beach roads and in icy New England winters. They handled quite well in the snow and ice, and that was long before any computer-aided traction control. I'm sure it can only get better.

8. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a 1972 Super Beetle too. The thing is that back then there was a lot more weight bias than now. In fact i've had both FWD and RWD vehicles with lots of weight over the drive wheels and they beat modern day 2WD in many respects.

But modern cars from here on out will most likely be very close to a 50:50 weight distribution, not a 30:70 or even a 40:60 like before. I guess we can always fill the trunk with sand bags.

9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That may be so, but there won't be more weight over the non-drive wheels; that is the important bit. Then modern stability and traction control will give a lot of aid.

10. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless the Aptera style becomes a thing.

Of course there's also a handling advantage to low vehicles. Plus they're less likely to roll over if you do slip off the road.

(My opinion. Just please end the crossover invasion!)
    That's basically what I'm saying. And since the same applies to a lot of FWD cars there's not much difference except you can accelerate harder in a RWD (do we need to accelerate harder in slick conditions?) but with FWD you can steer the drive wheels.

11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    ...and what I'm getting at is that steering the drive wheels looks very helpful on paper, but it never mattered that much out on the frozen roads of my driving career.

12. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    For performance, acceleration is great. As you have noted, it isn’t so good for winter driving.
    Here is why I believe the BEVs I have driven over the last 11 winters handle the snow so much better.

A) Center of mass - The center of mass is very low in most BEVs. In the Tesla Model S the center of mass was actually below the axles. This gives incredibly stable handling.

B) Stability control - While any vehicle can have stability control, my understanding is the number of adjustments a BEV is capable of per second is far more than a ICE vehicle can manage. In my case, I have only felt stability control kick in once, while I know it has kicked in a number of times when I couldn’t feel it.

C) Far better inertia factors - In a RWD ICE, the car typically had to deal with a very large mass (the engine) that was a good distance away from the drive wheels. In a BEV (skateboard design) the weight is much more evenly distributed.

I have been stuck in snow banks many times in my life, once after an ice storm I was ‘stuck’ in my driveway:eek::ROFLMAO:. While driving BEVs over the last 11 winters, I can’t recall a single time I needed to get out of my car to get ‘unstuck’.

In my experience, RWD with winter tires handles better than AWD with ‘all season’ tires. I don’t have a very high opinion of AWD. AWD will help you get started, but it won’t help you stop.

Caveats:

• It could simply be dumb luck over 10+ years
    • Some of that time I had AWD.
    • Most of that time was with winter tires.
    • The vast majority of the time I am driving urban/suburban roads. Less than 5% of miles were driven on rural or dirt roads.

Tideland Prius and Trollbait like this.
  13. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's absolutely no advantage once on the road. It's in parking lots, driveways, unplowed street where you may live and other such areas where it comes in handy.

I couldn't agree more!

#13 Isaac Zachary, Apr 18, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2021
  14. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'll give you that. The only time I really thought it helped was when I was in NYC and it was time to get the car out of the snowbank street parking.

That just doesn't happen to me often enough to factor into picking a car.

I'm with you on the crossover thing.

15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My driveway is on a back alley that rarely gets plowed; mostly the snow gets packed down by others. FWD may have helped with getting out, but I still had to do plenty of digging and making sure all the wheels weren't blocked or holes.

16. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My father-in-law worked at the Australian base in Antarctica in the late 60s. They had a small fleet of Beetles for getting between the buildings. He said that they'd proved to be better at handling Antarctic conditions than anything else they'd tried, apart from dog sleds.

Obviously a dog sled isn't really practical for Sydney. But he swore by Beetles after that job, and had a series of them until well into the 80s, much to the annoyance of my wife and her two brothers who all had to squeeze into the back. Whenever they complained, he said, "A Beetle was good enough to pull me out of a crevasse, so it's good enough to take you to school."