1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RX450H Bucking Around 60-70MPH

Discussion in 'Lexus Hybrids and EVs' started by Matthew Moniz, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Matthew Moniz

Matthew Moniz New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Hi there,

We are on our second RX450H (the first was a 2011 and this one is a 2015) with about 62k miles.

One thing I have noticed on both is that when trying to control speed at around 60-70MPH the car seems to buck or lurch a bit if I try and regulate speed with small adjustments to the accelerator. It almost seems like it is the gas engine turning on and off or engaging and disengaging.

Both of my RX450H's have done this but neither of my Prius models (2007 and 2013) behaved the same way. Has anyone else experienced this and is it a bad sign?

Thanks,
    -Matt

2. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We have a 2018 NX300h and haven’t had any issues like that. The biggest difference is we have a straight 4 and you have a V6 so it might be the torque difference when the V6 re-engages after shutting off at that speed. It might also be software and/or programming, but the best way to check that is to drive a newer one and see if they have the same issue. This assumes Toyota has steadily improved the transition part of that acceleration curve.

I’m also assuming the fluid levels are all also ok.

iPad ? Pro

Matthew Moniz likes this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    On our 2017 if you switch to power (might be sport) mode, it displays the tachometer.

What do the rpms do at the lurching point?

Our 2017 RX450h doesn’t do this with 27k miles for what it’s worth (y).

Matthew Moniz likes this.
  4. Matthew Moniz

Matthew Moniz New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Thanks for the replies, drash and Raytheeagle. FWIW, the issue was the same on the 2011 as on the 2015 so it seems they hadn't improved whatever the cause was during that generation. I think they switched to the new generation in 2016 so maybe that's why Ray isn't experiencing it.

There's no tachometer on the 2015, even in sport mode, there is just the ECO/POWER indicator and the speedometer. I've tried watching the energy screen to see if there is a visible change between the gas engine kicking on and off but I think the data refresh isn't fast enough to capture anything.

That's what it seems like to me, though, is that as the car decelerates from letting off the gas a little the gas engine gets confused about what to do and "false starts" a few times until you accelerate again. As a product designer, though, it would surprise me that the design or validation team would have let something like that make it through the design cycle for that many years without addressing it.