1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

S-L-O-W Prius law?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by -1-, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    And CHEEEEEP.

All this grief and disruption of the normal flow,,,,,, to save a buck and a half.

And,, ARE you gun nuts are saying it's OK to kill someone because "you feel threatened by a tailgater"???

Will that be far game now also?

Feel like you're losing a fist fight? Pull out the Lead Punch.
    Feel like you are in danger from the unarmed teenager tailgating you? Pull out the Lead Punch.....

What a Wonderful World we are creating!

JMD likes this.
  2. GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  3. Bob Hahn

Bob Hahn Wingman08

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I guess some people, perhaps people like you don't consider driving a 2 or 3, or 4000 pound vehicle at 60 mph 2 ft off the rear of another vehicle is lethal. Do you actually think only gun kill? Bullies hate it when the playing field is level. There are so many bullies out there with the, move over slow poke, you drive like my grandma, I have a big truck, SUV, BMW, whatever, don't you know who I am attitude. Thats fine, just don't endanger me, my wife, my family, my property. Pass me and take the road rage somewhere else.
    So let's be clear! If the question is, do I believe my life is being threatened, my family is being placed in harms way, my three dogs are in harms way, my $28,000 personal property is being placed in a position of being ruined or at least damaged because a road bully decides to crawl up my nice person, because I'm not going fast enough for Him? Well, you bet your life! I'd rather have you chase me with an axe, okay?
    It's time for road bullies to realize when you are tailgating it is threatening my life. I'm just saying, Folks ought to realize how it is perceived. No excuses, cars can be and are deadly weapons. Just like a gun, an axe, a knife, in the wrong hands, and also if mishandled all are fatal. That is the message on my bumper sticker. If folks don't want to read it there is a very simple solution, stay far enough back and they won't see it!

4. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob,
    sounds like you are playing a dangerous game. I saw some of those redneck places in florida and they are not pretty.
    Just speed up and do speed limit for your own safety.

5. Bob Hahn

Bob Hahn Wingman08

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I do the the speed limit. Or slightly under it! Seriously, we're not talking about doing 52 in a 65. My normal speed is 3-5 mph below the limit. If that isn't fast enough, then I'm not the one playing dangerous games. The games begin when laws are broken and bulling begins because some one has a lead foot, like to rush, inconsiderate, rude, self centerer jerk gets pissed because everyone else is in their way. If this kind of attitude was a rare occasion, it would be easy to over look, but it happens all the time. Not just to me, just look around at the unbelievably dangerous acts people pull in there 3000 pound missile. It's a freakin 2 ton missile and you are in it's way.

6. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    What's wrong with the 'Normal Flow'? It's a cooperating, consensus thing. Your life may also improve and your stress levels go down....

7. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Florida sucks. It is obsessed with wacky laws like New York, but it also tries to play the part of being the freest state.

If there's a 70 MPH speed limit then I'll go 55. If I got pulled over there I would just tell him that I can't AFFORD to drive 70.

8. Bob Hahn

Bob Hahn Wingman08

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Because, normal flow is not necessarily the SPEED LIMIT. You know that little inconvenience most people call the LAW. I obey the law not some one else who thinks they know better. Which is exactly why it flips me out. You have made my point better than anything I could have posted! If everyone is doing 75 in a 70 it must be ok. Absolutely not. It is called driving in excess of the SPEED LIMIT! You are illegal additionally if conditions aren't perfect 70mph may also be illegal, it's called driving too fast or road conditions. If people want to speed fine, go around me get off my a$$ and floor it. Is your nice person, not mine, but if people tailgate me it my nice person and if I survive enough to get out it will be that bullies a$$.
    What's wrong with obeying the LAW?

9. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As a teenager making almost minimum wage at a grocery store, $1.50 a week is pretty steep to me. That's $78 a year. And I'm actually paying for my car unlike many other teenagers and my monthly payment is around $80. That being said, if I drive just a little slower, then I'm practically getting one car payment of $0 each year.

10. Bob Hahn

Bob Hahn Wingman08

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good job kid. Keep your nose clean and work hard. You have the right ideas. The old fashion way is still the best way.

11. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You know what's crazier? 55 mph in the right lane is completely legal under this new Florida slow driver law. :p

12. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm by no means a Liberal, but I like how the Democrats made the federal speed limit 55 MPH a while back before I was born.

Bob Hahn likes this.
  13. sisharp

sisharp Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I love when all these people who think their time is worth so much more than everyone that they just HAVE TO speed. It's normal for them to be constantly late that they have to do 10+ over the speed limit. They have no sense of time management and they always leave at exactly 19 minutes before they have to get to work because the gps says it will take 19 minutes. Then they realize that there are other cars in the world and this is not good. So they start weaving in and out of traffic trying to pass everyone because they are going to be late.

Then 10 minutes later I see some blue lights. I slow, like I should and move over a lane, like I should, and who did the cops stop? Mr. Late with his massive truck, or Mr. Speed with his convertible, or Mrs. Soccer Mom with her minivan that was doing 80, or everyone else who's time is precious.

Now they have to patiently sit there while they check the license plate and basically just sit there for 5 minutes before they walk up to your car. You could have been 5 miles away but no, you thought that 75 or 80 is normal and everyone who doesn't drive like that is wrong, well sorry bud. It is called the speed LIMIT for a reason. The limit of something is "A point or level beyond which something does not or may not extend or pass."

So there is no way to justify that following the flow of traffic is right. PERIOD. End of discussion. If they want it to be the normal flow of traffic then raise the speed limit. Some roads here in SC, like many other places have a minimum speed limit of like 45mph. I always do above that but I never try to go over the speed limit. Ok maybe sometimes on a downhill it's inevitable because gravity is pulling me and because I don't want to use the brakes but there are always people who still use the gas downhill and try to hit 90 at the bottom.

I would love for a cop to pull me over for going 10 under the speed limit. I would like to see what their argument is. Maybe that I was endangering all those people that were speeding and breaking the law. Ya right...

I have always hated the wording in some laws that say something like impede the normal flow of traffic because they always interpret it as saying that it is ok to speed and they enforce it like that. Yet when you take the test at the DMV that is almost always one of the questions and ask if the normal flow of traffic is 70 in a 65, is it ok to do 70. The correct answer is always NO, it is not ok to do 70. Why do so many people have a problem with this.

Bob Hahn, -1- and TheEnglishman like this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well said!

15. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Were you guys on this same "Speeders are crazy law breakers who deserve tickets—I'll go slow if I want, I'm not in a rush—Everyone else should slow down and smell the roses—I'm so enlightened because I'm not rushing" high horse before you drove Prii?

Just curious. :D ;)

PLSPUSH likes this.
  16. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm making a guess here, that the test question is that 65MPH is the posted Maximum Speed Limit. In which case you can't exceed that number. However, slightly different rules apply when the posted Speed Limit is something like 45MPH. I'd like to see the question, if it's not too much of a problem.

Mike

17. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good question!

I'm on the "I drove [relatively] fast before and drive [relatively] fast now" high horse. Thus, I don't get the MPG that everybody else gets. However, I do coast a little more while in the city than I did before.

Mike

18. sisharp

sisharp Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Sporin
    How do you figure "slightly different rules apply" when it's any other speed???

19. sisharp

sisharp Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I have a question for you. Were you always on your, "I like to go as fast as I want and don't care what the speed limit is" high horse of yours before the Prii were introduced?

20. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    nice personumptions. I'm 42 years old and never had a ticket. I don't generally speed (unless I'm passing someone). I get on my local highways with their 65mph limit, set my CC to 67 or 68 (which my GPS indicates is closer to 65-66), and cruise. Why? Because that is the speed of traffic, that is the flow. On the rare occassion that I'm traveling out of my laid back, rural local and the general speed is a bit higher then the limit, I go a bit higher then the limit, but I generally stick to the middle lane even then.

Besides, I'm not the one writing 6 paragraph rants about "Mr. Speed" and chastising everyone who's going faster then him with a lot of angry hyperbole and assumptions.;)