1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Sad Catalytic Converter theft news

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Marine Ray, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's a third gen too. :(

3. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    A result of Social Darwinism.

Glad I own a Prius v, of which the catalytic converter will not fit a regular Gen 3.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When you watch the online videos of people stealing Prius cat converters it's easy to get angry and wish you could do something... When I think of what I'd do, I immediately realize how vulnerable the thief is to someone messing with their floor jack... Most of the thieves have someone stand look out for 'em... All this for something they're only going to get $150 from a buyer who will make much, much more because they know how to process the rare metals. And don't get me wrong... I'm almost always non-violent because it's way more predictable and viable than resorting to the dangerous unpredictability of violence... But at the same time, it's so infuriating and I have to calm myself down when I see people do this on video.

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually, you're just a vulnerable as every other Prius owner. They don't target specific Prius based on resale of a part, they target Prius because a hybrid engine pumps half as much exhaust gas as most cars so Prius have much cleaner cats, which means a greater harvest of palladium and other very expensive metals. And so long as the value of Palladium keeps skyrocketing...

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe we should cut the square drive end off of the correct socket and glue it onto the heads of the bolts that hold the catalytic converter with JB Weld.

Sill, they can cut it off with and angle grinder. They can do that with those special locks, too.

However, a few thieves might be deterred.

They eliminated local copper thefts a few years, ago, buy requiring permits that required valid ID's from those selling salvaged copper.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    m.wynn likes this.
  8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Model 3, no problem. My BMW i3-REx has a motorcycle sized catalytic converter buried in the engine/motor bay.

Bob Wilson

Prodigyplace likes this.
  9. JosephG

JosephG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I knew this would happen eventually. It's sad, but it's an incredibly stupid thing they're doing.

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  10. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Rehabilitation can be a permanent thing.

11. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm not seeing it.....
    What's sad?

m.wynn likes this.
  12. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I feel sad for the owner, who will feel guilt for a tragedy he/she/it is not responsible for.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you think?(n)

14. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's true. I hope the owner is mentally tough enough to not let it bother them. I hate thieves badly enough that I'd probably try to sue his estate/executor for whatever repair costs are for the car, plus emotional distress. Who in the he** is he to damage and steal something I've worked hard for. Hopefully he didn't leave an innocent family behind.

I completely believe every single person in the world is deserving of respect, deserving of a chance to have a good life and deserving of a helping hand when needed, until they prove otherwise. This individual falls under "until they prove otherwise". Odds are slim this was his first theft. How much heartache has he caused and how many lives has he temporarily devastated or worse? Maybe a single mom with a couple kids, barely making ends meet and now has no car to get to work? Maybe she loses her job and income because of some loser. Maybe some kid who had final exams at college that day, or had his first real job interview. Who really knows. Society is better off without him.

3PriusMike, m.wynn, Merkey and 3 others like this.
  15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Estate? Executor? Do any of these thieves have enough assets for either?
    I'll give them a bit more than that, they still deserve some basic (but reduced) level of respect and opportunity for a good life when not immediately engaged in criminality. Rehabilitation and redemption are still possible after just about any criminal act, and a fairly good number do eventually reform. To some degree, if they survive to natural life expectancies.

But I shed no tears nor feel any guilt for those who expire during, and because of, their immediate criminality. Especially when their expiration was entirely at their own hand, unassisted by victims of the crime or others.
    In the UK threads, I thought that the grinder was the primary means, rendering any special bolts meaningless.
    In the Seattle area, enforcement of these scrap transaction rules seems to have failed, leading to very significant rates of new copper thefts.
    That video was filmed in the UK. I was thinking that more American victims would do something. At least in the areas where they still can. Many of us don't have the same degree of do-nothing-leave-them-alone mindset drilled in since forever.

It does help that various police here have been far more responsive than have the London police, who seem to dismiss it as a victimless crime not worthy of any priority. Some of the crooks here have actually been caught.

#15 fuzzy1, Feb 21, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  16. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Second time stealing catalytic converters has been mentioned here. I never would have guessed.

I presume that’s partly because they can fetch a handsome price, but why Prii in particular? Is it because Prius cats are even more expensive? Or easier than average to steal?

17. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The 2004-2009 Prius has an unusually high dose of precious metals in its converter. They represent a better payoff-per-theft than other cars.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

mr88cet likes this.
  18. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    True for gen-3 and Gen.-4?

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We have seen many more reports than that. Even if narrowed down to just Gen3s in the U.S. Gen2 thefts in the UK have been epidemic for quite a long time.

20. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In our neck of the woods, pickups, especially the ones with high ground clearance, a the cat-burglar vehicle of choice.

Bob Wilson