1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sad to go, but moving on, thanks

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by unkprius, Oct 12, 2012.

1. unkprius

unkprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For all the good times the past year and a half!

This will be my last post in the forums, as I have gone over to the gas guzzling dark side, trading in my 2011 Prius and purchasing a Lexus ES.

After 13,000 miles and 50.1 mpg average, I was in love with the mileage and versatility, but my old bones grew weary of the relatively nervous and noisy ride, and especially the too far away steering wheel that made the driving position constantly uncomfortable for me.

I thought I'd share just a couple of interesting tidbits:

- Lexus/Toyota share the same outlook on interior night lighting for the car, turning all lights on the steering wheel, armrests, etc. to the lowest brightness that can be obtained from a light bulb/led so that it is barely perceptible to the human eye. Bleh.

- The steering wheel controls are virtually identical to the Prius, which makes things handier, but not 'newer' feeling.

- After using the Prius hatchback at Home Depot for a couple of years, trunks suck.

- These are my first leather seats in a long while, and again confirm, to me, that -good- cloth is more comfortable than leather. Cushy, soft and vented as they are, this leather is no match for the coolness and softness of the cloth that was in my Prius and previous cars. Cloth rules!

- One cannot escape the 'evil eye of light' in the overhead console it seems, this one shines down to illuminate the cupholders(!), though in this case it's so dim as to be invisible while driving at night.

If gas goes back up a bunch, I most certainly may be back, or at the very least in hybrid form, but for now, especially close to retirement, half the mileage is worth the smoothness and silence.

I'll wave as you drive by while I'm filling up, yet again. :(

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to see you go but you switched to a very nice car so I'm sure you'll be happy. Best wishes. :)

3. Texas-Prius

Texas-Prius One more Prius to fight terrorism

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sorry to hear you weren't happy with the Prius, but you know, gas will go up a bunch again. It is inevitable as our demand for gas continues to increase rather than decrease. Decreasing the demand is the only thing that is going to make the price go the other direction. If you look at the trend of the price of fuel over the past 10 years, you will see many spikes in the trend, but the spike never drops back to a lower price. It seems we jump up .10, but then only drop .08 or .09. They slowly get us acclimated to paying a little bit more to the point that someone says "I'm glad gas is cheap now as it's only $3.30/gallon". The reality is, that is far from cheap. For most of my life, I paid less than $1.00/gallon. Get the price somewhere around $1.00~$1.50/gallon, then I can understand people having gas guzzlers again. However, if everyone gets the gas guzzlers again, then we will be back up to $3-$5+/gallon. It is a game that we can't win at. The only people that win are the oil companies, car dealerships and car manufacturers. I've seen people trade their cars back and forth as the price of fuel changes. I think about not only how much extra they are paying for gas, but even more so, how much money they lose in devaluation and tax every time they trade in their car/truck.

Again, I'm sorry to hear you aren't happy with the Prius enough to keep it, but don't think for even a fraction of a second that you won't be paying even more for gas than you currently are in another year.

- TP

4. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    unkprius,

Completely understand your position and priority. I just wish that you tried Lexus LS and GS (even if used) before you commit to ES.

I have a 98 LS400, bought used in 2007 at 110K for $11000. I categorize it as Economic Sports Luxury Limo.

Economic, because it cost less than Camry to maintain. No trouble at all at 181K, no oil burning, just basic maintenance. The listed 25/18 mpg is great for 4 litre V8 290hp engine. By pulse glide neutral gear driving, I actually get 33/23.
    Sports, because it is so fast, especially at mid speed acceleration. I dare to challenge any sports on the road. At 4000 lb, it is somehow Nimble!
    Luxury, you know what I mean even from your lastest ES experience. My LS, although 2 models older, is still great on interior material and subtle small features that few new luxury cars can compete. Except, of cause, the new LS.
    Limo, Oh, the ride! Going 90 miles/hour feels like 45. Complete silence inside. I wish I bought a LS with ultra luxury package, which come with rear seat massage and refrigerator.

Enjoy your Lexus and come back often, especially if you get a Hybrid LS someday.

5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With all due respect, you offend me and you offend my family...

7. Vas25tl

Vas25tl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Did you get the 2013? Beautiful redesign.

8. jaymac

jaymac membore

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sad to see you go. That's life. New pathways come into view. I normally ride my bicycle and actually drive a car maybe once a week or less. Still, I love cars and know that my loyalty to any one car is frangible. Enjoy your new ride. Best wishes

9. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The new ES Hybrid is a sweet car. I have it on my lottery list. :D

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we are definately looking at the es hybrid and avalon hybrid when we trade in my wife's hycam. but a plug in would be even better! all the best.

11. PruisAz

PruisAz Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Its hard to compare the ES Hybrid to the Prius. The ES Hybrid is a more expensive luxury auto in the upper $30's and up. Most of us with the Prius can agree were in it to save fuel money. If I could afford a $40k auto, who cares if I pay $20 or $60 a week for gas.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a lot of people have purchased $40,000. pips. obviously not to save money. but it depends on what alternate car your comparing it to.

Pasaman likes this.
  13. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Enjoy your new ride.

14. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As a long time Lexus owner (2002 LS430 w/66K miles) I can understand how you appreciate the comfort over that of a Prius. We keep ours mainly for annual cross-country trips to the midwest, averaging 27-28 highway mpg. I used to be a personal driver for a Mercedes dealership principal, and even he described Lexus as "bulletproof." Mine has had no repair issues, just routine maintenance, etc.
    I do find that my PiP is more comfortable than either of my Gen II's, but not in a league with Lexus. Leather may be an aquired taste, but I prefer it.
    Good luck and enjoy your new ride.:)