1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SAE papers describing Prius c

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by everybody, Jun 4, 2012.

1. everybody

everybody Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

At little pricy, $23/each, I bought two, Toyota SAE papers discussing the Prius c:

2012-01-1017 - Development of the New THS-II Powertrain for Compact Vehicles
    2012-01-0623 - Development of New Hybrid Transaxle for Sub-Compact-Class Vehicles

"Development of the New THS-II Powertrain for Compact Vehicles," Takashi Uehara, Yasuhiro Takashi, Ryoji Oki, Takahiko Hirasawa, Yuskue Kamijyo, Ikuo Ando, Tyuta Teraya and Makoto Nakamura

This paper covers the engine, transaxle and power electronics. It also discusses control law changes that optimized the car for frequent, cold-start trips. The biggest takeaways:
    • faster catalytic converter warm-up
    • compression ratio (expansion RJW) 13.4:1 vs earlier 13.0:1
    • more use of cooled exhaust recirculation
    • smaller battery under rear seat, lower CG improves handling
    • smaller more efficient transaxle
    • reduced engine run-time to charge battery
    • software to let the engine sound more closely match accelerator operation
    • acceleration is slower than the ZVW30
    "Development of New Hybrid Transaxle for Sub-Compact-Class Vehicles," Tomoaki Furukawa, Ryuji Ibaraki, Hiroaki Kimura, Koichi Kondo, Masato Watanabe, Tatsukiko Mizutani, Hiroyuki Hattori and Akira Takasaki

Concentrating on the transaxle, this paper's biggest takeaways:
    • More use of ATF fluid for cooling
    • Size and weight reductions
    • Improved stator winding technique
    • Noise reduction (I still find my wife's ZVW30 transmission noisy)
    • Faster ATF warm-up to get to reduced viscosity range
    • Improved low-speed, ATF cooling
    • Less ATF 'churning' losses from smaller gears
    • 9% reduction in mechanical loss at 50 km/hr, 7% at 100 km/hr
    But one quote gives some insight to a hand full of transaxle, burn outs in the NHW11 and the rarer ones in the NHW20:

I've observed that monitoring NHW11 transaxle temperatures pretty well follow highway efficiency. If the car is driven at speeds in excess of 70 mph there is a distinct increase in MG1/MG2 temperatures. If the car is driven no faster than 65 mph, these temperatures remain well within the normal ratio:

ICE > MG1 > MG2

But when the NHW11 is driven faster, we can see:

ICE < MG1 ~= MG2

This is an overheated transaxle and apparently will rapidly age the insulation. Once the insulation has wire-to-wire short, it rapidly consumes itself. The old, inverter coolant loop appears to have gone away with the P410 and the P510 has enhanced cooling.

Of all metrics one might seek for the Prius c, MG1 and MG2 temperatures would be especially useful. The old NHW11 had transaxle thermal issues at speeds over 65 mph however I suspect the Prius c does not. The SAE paper suggests Toyota engineering paid attention to this area.

Bob Wilson

2. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    So I should drive below 70 mph my Gen II and C to avoid transaxle overheating?

Is there a separate air or water cooled transaxle heat exchanger for the C? I have not noticed one on my GenII.

What is the Gen II transaxle model number?

What is the C's tranaxle model number?

Thanks.

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I bought them too. It has a lot of great information. It sure satisfied my curious mind.

4. everybody

everybody Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have data for the NHW20 nor a Prius c but do have data from our ZVW30 (aka., 2010 Prius.) One advantage these later cars have is the use of voltage doubling techniques and internal gearing to increase rotational speeds. Together, they reduce the (I**2)*R losses, the effect of resistance heating from current flowing through the earlier, slower turning motors. What I'm suggesting is we need metrics to find out how the Prius c works in real life.

The one set of NHW20 MPG vs mph data does not show the 'knee-in-the-curve' of the NHW11. It remains linear above 65 mph out to 85 mph suggesting the NHW20 transaxle does not suffer the thermal problems of the NHW11:
    [​IMG]

According to the SAE paper, the Prius c has no water cooling channel like we find in the earlier models. I'll have to check the manual to verify the inverter coolant uses the combination AC condenser and radiator. As for the transaxle models listed in '2012-01-0623':
    • P510 - Prius c transaxle model
    • P410 - ZVW30 (1.8L) transaxle model
    • P112 - NHW20 transaxle
    • P310 - for SUV application
    The papers are good reads and about the list price of a hardcopy, book.

Bob Wilson

cwerdna and dave77 like this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I just had a chance to read the PowerPoint and PDF files that Danny got from Toyota. They pretty much cover the important parts of the SAE papers. There is some original content in the papers speaks 'engineer' so I don't regret buying them. But I'm not sure the extra details are that good of a buy for $23/each ... unless you're very curious about things engineering.

Bob Wilson

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ok,

Having taken a peek at the Consumer Reports review and their 'defense,' we can speculate on what it would take to make the Prius c (all Prius models,) into something CR would love. First, this is my current understanding of the CR requirements:
    • 0-60 mph at 10.0 sec, less than 11.0 - we don't know the exact number but it is in this range. Certainly 10.0 seconds meets the threshold.
    • "driver position" - a better seat and wider steering wheel adjustment, possibly an extra 1-2".
    • "noise" - flipping the engine so the exhaust is forward will take a little time. For a short term fix, heavier exhaust pipes and noise absorbing, engine/transmission mounts.
    • "busy" - add caster angle for more straight-line stability
    • "handling" - reduce the electronic steering assist so more mechanical feel is in the steering wheel
    The hardest problem is acceleration because this is going to take an extra 10 hp, 7.5 kw. So this would require an extra 52 A at 144 V and that is not going to happen. However, if the power-split device is used, the current drops to 14.5 A (battery voltage) and only 4.2 A. at voltage boost range. The rest can come from the ICE _IF_ it can make a little more power at maximum acceleration. Only 7.2 hp is needed and this is feasible.

Toyota has variable valve duration as well as angle technology in at least one Lexus model. Fitting this technology into the 1.5L engine is not impossible, a new head would be required. But it would allow the Atkinson engine to move to an Otto cycle in high power, demand mode. Fortunately, Otto cycles are reasonably efficient at high power settings.

Another approach that does not require a new head is supercharging. Turbo is desired but in a small car, a challenge. An electric turbo would be another approach but I don't have enough information to determine if this is practical.

Now there is one 'wild card' solution that could improve "handling" and mileage . . . fully inflated tires. The traditional problem is the ride becomes harsh. But this can be mitigated by improved shocks, front and back. Replace the sidewall flex with a two-stage shock that has a soft, limited distance lower-resistance followed by a long distance, high resistance mode. The shock replaces the lower pressure, sidewall flex so higher pressure, lower rolling resistance tires can let the car get 'thrown around the track.' But is this effort wise?

How many Prius does Consumer Reports sell?

Perhaps the best answer is to pluck 'low hanging fruit,' things that only change manufacturing specifications, but don't jump through the costlier hoops, engine and drivetrain, just to please the reviewers of Consumer Reports who want a 'track car.'

Bob Wilson

dave77 likes this.
  7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I find this piece very interesting:

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Me too! All of these little changes add up and help explan the crazy numbers we are seeing with these little cars.

9. Nic Lechner

Nic Lechner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    ^
    I'm impressed with your 61.4 average so far, any tips?

10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Turbocharging a Prius C size engine shouldn't be a problem.
    Turbocharged 600cc class Kei cars have been around for decades in Japan. Turbocharging scales well.
    You can even get peanut whistle sized turbos for 125cc engines.

Slightly different topic, I believe Mazda already has engines that vary between pseudo Atkinson like a Prius to Otto cycle based on power requirements. If it's able to run in Otto cycle when needed and has direct injection, a C size engine should be able to develop 120 hp. Developing the electrical muscle to balance that in the torque splitter might require a different HSD though

11. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Duplicate deleted

12. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Drive slow (60mph max on the freeway), avoid making frequent short trips, don't use AC excessively, keep your tires inflated properly or even a tad overinflated and use gliding techniques whenever possible. My mpg recently is simply a reflection of my long freeway trips (50mile minimum). I do not suffer from frequent warm up periods like those with shorter commutes. I also have very fuel efficient tires and I don't use the AC most of the time. :)