1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Safe Idling times in my Prius stuck in hurricane Irma here in South Florida ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Markee, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Markee

Markee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm in South Florida sitting here in the calm before the storm wondering if the power goes out here with no generator the only option I'll have is my Prius.
    With a full talk of gas how do you think i could sit here idling running the ac and keeping my phones charged ?

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It will greatly depend on how much work/load the a/c is doing. I recall seeing 3/4 gallon per hour in one camping thread but I don't recall the weather conditions. It's usually about twice as fast to use a 12v powerplug-to-USB port than the car's USB port.

Down here, the hardest hit areas from Harvey are still w/o power @ two weeks but progress is rapidly increasing.

GOOD LUCK!

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Been done many times. On average a Gen2 will consume 2 gallons of gas a day if left in READY mode with a medium load. You can pull 1200W out of the 12v system total. Car uses about 200W-300W usually on the 12v, leaving you with 900W on the input side. Charging phones (2.5W-20W a piece) is a barely noticeable load.

4. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've kept mine running all night in freezing temps with the heat on low just to keep the cabin slightly more instead of freezing. I used at just under a gallon

fotomoto likes this.
  5. Buzzhead

Buzzhead Non-Interference w/ devel of pre-Warp civs

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Stay safe!

6. Markee

Markee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It begins winds are picking up I've been through alot of hurricanes here but this is one massively scary monster
    We tried everything possible to evacuate but just couldn't get out no flights or hotel rooms in the whole state and bordering states afraid we'd get stuck out on the road trying to drive out no gas
    Hope we don't loose the house no home owner insurance this time :(

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A few years ago, for my Gen 1, I did those calculations for winter (using heat, not A/C), So it's not exactly the same situation, but gives an example of how to work it out. I compared two strategies: one, use the car's heat, but set to the minimum temperature setting. That came out to about three days for a full tank.

The other strategy was to have the car's climate control turned off, but just power a 40 watt heated blanket wrapped around my own personal self. That came out to about nine days for a tank.

There's a known amount of energy in a gallon of gasoline, and the car's got a certain efficiency in converting that, so it won't surprise you that every question about how long you can stretch n gallons of gas will come back to: how fast are you using the energy?

The A/C compressor is variable speed, over a wide range, to match the cooling load. When it isn't cycled completely off, it can be drawing anywhere between a couple hundred and a few thousand watts. You can see that figure in real time with a scantool plugged into the DLC port. A scantool can also read out the gallons-pre-hour consumption of the engine. You could stage a few trials at different levels of A/C effort and see what you get.

-Chap

8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's going to be interesting. Be careful down there. We're going to get a pretty good dose of Irma, too, if the predictions hold up.

9. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The latest track shows Irma is headed straight for you jerrymildred. Get to high ground before tomorrow evening when Irma is expected to make landfall in the Tampa area (if you haven't headed for the hills already which is what I would have done). That's one mean bi*** coming to your neighborhood.

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Indeed! Thanks. All our hatches are battened down. We're not in an evac area and I don't want to get caught in traffic. So we're leaving in the morning to stay with friends in a newer house on even higher ground. Tomorrow night is NOT going to be pleasant! :mad: But right now, it's so nice that it's hard to imagine what's coming. Life is like that sometimes.
    Stormtrack.jpg

jadziasman likes this.
  11. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    A friend who rode out Harvey lost his shutters and debris quickly broke through the double pane windows and chewed through several sections of his roof with the ensuing water damage. He said he won't stay for the next one.

They finally got power yesterday when the electric company brought in two of these giant diesel train engine powered generators to feed the area neighborhoods because it will take weeks to months to get power poles back in since they are somewhat remote and it's a long line.

IMG_4289.JPG

12. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow, @fotomoto! Our power company said they expect to have a million customers w/o power from Irma.

And it turns out that we now are in an evacuation zone. We were already planning to go farther inland in the morning anyway.

13. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Stay safe everyone

jerrymildred likes this.
  14. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Going home in a while to check on things. Not expecting problems other than possible lack of electricity. Latest update on the Duke Energy outage page was before 8 PM last night.

NutzAboutBolts and Prodigyplace like this.
  15. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Definitely keep safe. Did you evacuate both Prii?

jerrymildred likes this.
  16. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We drove my PiP and put the '07 in our garage. No property damage to home or either car, although I think the PiP got pressure washed.

Lots of tree debris on the roads coming home. Stoped to check on one snowbird friend's house but couldn't quite get there due to a flooded intersection. Our back fence is wobbly, so I'll be fixing that tomorrow. A couple shingles look they had had to hang on for dear life, but seem OK. Less than 5 miles away there was a lot more damage ... billboards and signs blown down, huge tree on the road, and so on. Our neighborhood had a few fences blown down and a couple small trees. There's a HUGE dead oak close by that did just fine. LOL!

We have the day off again tomorrow to finish fixing up and get over the lack of sleep last night. I know a lot of people got really beat up and there are still many w/o electricity, and there's a lot of cleaning up to do, but for us it was actually kind of fun. No worse than many of the storms we had on Roatán. Kind of reminds me of a warm blizzard if you're familiar with that meteorological adventure.

Mark57, jadziasman and Prodigyplace like this.
  17. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds reasonable. Do you have power and water at home?

18. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yup! It's almost like nothing happened here. But I don't have to go far to see damaged trees. I think we only lost power long enough to mess up the clocks. Neighbors said their lights just flickered a couple times. But they said it was a loud night here. Our hosts had a very quiet house, but over there, we lost power for an hour yesterday long before the storm.

Edit to add, I got an automated call from Duke Energy that said it may take several days for them to assess the damages and get going in a safe and efficient repair operation. Thankfully, We're OK right now.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  19. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Glad to hear you are doing even better than OK!

jerrymildred likes this.