1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Safe jump start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ramiro29, Dec 22, 2013.

1. ramiro29

ramiro29 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How can I safely jump start my 2005 Prius? Well just in case I need to. But I read that I shouldn't because it would mess a lot of things. Would you guys even recommend doing it. Thanks in advance

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Page 243 of the owner's manual shows the jump starting procedure. As long as you have jumper cables, a booster battery, and your owner's manual when you jump start your Prius, you should have no reason to fear messing something up. Keep in mind that your battery might not accept a jump start if it has discharged too much or has failed internally.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Smart cables are the only safe way to jump the Prius as stayed above by JimboPalmer. Failing that if using ordinary jump leads or even a jump pack make 100% certain you have got the other connections correct before the final connection. There is no second chance.
    I know this sounds dramatic, but the cost of getting it wrong can be very high apart from the inconvenience.

John (Britprius)

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One thing, I don't think jump packs as a group, have reversed polarity protection. I'd just be super careful to get it right: positive cable to positive (aka: red, plus symbol +), negative to ground (bare metal on engine, bare bolt or bracket on body).

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Anyone use these?

Astro SP0612 Smart Plug 6 Gauge 12-Feet Booster Cables - Amazon.com they don't seem as foolproof as the Michelins, but as long as the center plug isn't connected together before the clamp connections are made to the vehicles then they seem to be "almost" foolproof.

SCH-I535

7. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It is possible to get it wrong, but if you use the jump terminal under the hood, there is only one attachment point (it is for the positive cable). The negative has to go to a convenient point on the chassis. Getting it wrong is pretty hard to do.

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  9. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I'm not sure what prompted you to ask, but as you see with all the warnings above, if your 12-volt battery is starting to fail it is just prudent for a Prius owner to replace it instead of jump starting.
    You can get lots of advice here on which battery to buy and how to install it your self if you're a do-it-yourselfer and save a lot of money over what the dealer charges. Prius 12-volt replacement is only marginally more difficult than most car batteries, especially if it is a direct OEM replacement. There are fans for both OEM and other brands here. Decide for yourself.