1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

safe to drive while triangle of death is on?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ashleyclark, Jan 2, 2014.

1. ashleyclark

ashleyclark Junior Member

need to read the computer codes to judge whether the problem is worth repairing or just sell the car. will i risk damaging the car further by driving to AutoZone, maybe 5 miles round trip? the only problem i'm aware of is a bad fuel/air mix. thanks for your help....
    Ashley
    2002 Classic

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What warning lights are on besides the master warning triangle? In particular, any red colored warning lights?

Check the engine compartment fluids including engine oil and radiator. If those are good, you don't notice any driveability issues, and there are no other red warning lights, then you can drive the five miles without concern.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Where are you located?

We may have some better options as AutoZone has only limited Prius scanning capabilities.

Bob Wilson

4. ashleyclark

ashleyclark Junior Member

Hi guys. I'm in Richmond VA. Patrick, fluids are great. The Hybrid System Warning Light is coming on in addition to the red triangle so it looks like driving it is off the table. I'm trying to connect with a local guy to borrow his code reader today. Thanks for helping me get a handle on it. I'll post separately about possible sales price or repair costs.
    ashley

5. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Did you come up with anything on the code scan?