1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Safely follow a truck on the highway with Prius: 65 - 85 MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by usbseawolf2000, Mar 4, 2007.

1. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Mar 12 2007, 09:00 AM) [snapback]404153[/snapback]</div>
    Oddly enough, that's entirely false. Vehicles being drafted actually reap a very slight benefit when being drafted vs. running alone. It turns out that the following vehicle modifies the all-important region of low pressure behind the lead vehicle, which is the source of a huge chunk aerodynamic drag. It's like a big vacuum trying to suck you backward. If you are close enough to increase the pressure acting on the rear of that vehicle, the drag force goes down and that vehicle's fuel economy improves slightly.

That still doesn't make it a good idea, but it's interesting how it works.

2. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I guess, being an avid cyclist, I could have figured that out myself. Drafting is an important part of cycling, and while it's tiring to ride in front, it's not more tiring than riding alone... it's harder to quantify the difference from riding alone because you get a break by rotating back through the pack though, so it feels much easier.

3. KV55

KV55 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Birds on migration surf the draft of the bird in front, as in the vee formation of cranes and of geese. They do this to travel effeciently. If the leader was being drawn back they would have to change position to keep up the pace. Racing cyclists use a chain gang system to keep a fresh rider up front sugesting the leader does more work than those close behind but it is not clear if they do more work than a lone rider.
    The only time I have heard that the lead vehicle gets pulled back is in F1 racing but this is at extreme speed and the air exiting the back of the vehicle is being used to create a downforce so as to maintain traction. I am sure that this would not apply to an articulated lorry at 55mph. Indeed, if you have a lorry very close to the back of the car at highway speeds it will bring you into the disturbed air in front of its cab and push you along. This is very noticable on a small motorcycle.

4. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Mar 12 2007, 06:18 AM) [snapback]404165[/snapback]</div>
    Reminds me of an incident about 40 years ago when I was cycling. A friend of mine (I wasn't with him at the time, but he told me about it later), got pulled over by a cop while drafting a truck. He apparently was going 45 mph. When the judge found out he was doing it on a bicycle, he dismissed the charges. The fastest I've every gone was 55 mph. But, that was down hill with a strong tailwind. My wife was clocking me and I was counting my rpm. They were in good agreement.

In any case, air resistance is a big factor for cycling (and a car).
    Hey. So what if it's OT.

Dave M.

5. Ichabod

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Having an articulated lorry (a.k.a. in the u.s.a., "tractor-trailer") riding your nice person while on a motorcycle sounds like a thrilling (in a bad way) experience!

55 mph on a bicycle sounds equally thrilling. My fastest speed has been about 45mph and I start fearing for my life at slower speeds than that.

6. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Mar 12 2007, 10:00 AM) [snapback]404153[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting Theory.

How do you reconcile this with the fact that two race cars together go faster than one alone.

Yes, the first guy in line is doing more work than the ones following, but he is still doing less work than if they other guys weren't there.

This is because the guy drafting behind breaks up the 'vortex' that forms behind you, and tries to suck you back and slow you down.

Drafting is, in fact, a benefit for everyone.

Truckers draft each other when it's practical btw.

7. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i'm not sure drafting is beneficial to everyone. the lead is the lead for a reason. they seem to take the hit. we tried these wile traveling through Utah going 85mpg. i was following my fathers F450 super dully. he could feel when i started and stopped drafting him. it would take considerable amounts of fuel for him to keep speed when i was drafting.

I have however seen a few interesting things lately.

one being a group of 3 or more Prii going over highway 17 (long highway through the mountains.. plenty of twist and turns)... i wonder if they were drafting. they were traveling rather close. I've seen this with several other groups too. usually 2 cars. every once and a while 3.

let's set up a prii drafting group to see how it goes.

8. oldpecan

oldpecan New Member

Speaking strictly of semi-trailers - four flaps ["unventilated, planar-sided cavity devices"] tapering off the back of a semi-trailer reduce fuel consumption by 8%, according to "Drag Reduction of Tractor Trailers" by Ken Visser of Clarkson University, Potsdam, New York; November 2005: (real world test)

"A full-scale prototype utilizing rigid composite sides with a flexible top and bottom, shown in figure 3, was road tested in 2000, exhibiting cross-country road fuel savings of about 0.5 mpg, or 8%, over a 10,000 mile trip. Estimated fuel savings for a typical 120,000 miles per year traveled were 1,500 gallons per truck."

you'll have to Google the title and author if you're interested, sorry.

Because, yeah, there's turbulence and vacuum and stuff creating drag as the air flows past the rear edges of the trailer.

This other study, by SAE using mostly models and wind-tunnels and computers, came up with a higher (theoretical) fuel-savings number:

"Aerodynamic Drag of Heavy Vehicles (Class 7-8): Simulation and Benchmarking".

There's a link to that article in this thoughtful and well-illustrated article about the aerodynamic benefits of the tapering, boat-tail shape:

http://www.metrompg.com/posts/boat-tail-prototype.htm

V8Cobrakid - ? -Maybe your dad's F450 isn't tall and wide enough to create the theoretical situation that's beneficial for both the car and the truck - ?

anyway, my 2 cents:

I think a close-following car probably smooths out the air turbulence behind an articulated lorry to the benefit of both vehicles as the air disturbed by the lorry re-converges more smoothly behind the car. (is the way I picture it)

oh btw, the 1st-mentioned article says: aerodynamic devices that carry no cargo, and stick out less than 5 feet behind the truck, are allowed by federal regulation.

btw I suppose 8% fuel-saving savings isn't deemed by the truckers to be "worth it"? I don't see trailers with aero-effects on the back, on the other hand,

trucks pretty much all have those aerodynamic wind shrouds on the front of the trailer (or on top of the cab) ... so what gives?

... ? Is it too inconvenient to fold away some flaps before backing up to the loading dock?? ? to save 1,500 gallons at $2.50 per gallon is $3,750 every year.

9. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Mar 12 2007, 08:47 AM) [snapback]404223[/snapback]</div>
    Boogity Boogity Boogity!!!
    --Darrell Waltrip

You see this in NASCAR all the time, when the commentators talk about drivers "working together" to get to the front, or one driver getting a "push" from the driver behind them (not to be confused with "push" meaning understeer).

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perhaps he had 'drafting' confused with this latest invention from the Acme company:
    [​IMG]

BEEP! BEEP!

Bob Wilson

11. Ichabod

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Build one of those tail-tapers out of fiberglass, design it with a small motor or pneumatic to open/close the flaps, and make yourself a million bucks selling it to truckers.

That's my free million dollar idea of the day. But if you make a million, consider sending me $50,000.

12. luckyboy

luckyboy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I suspect the money spent on new windshields from road debri kicked up by the truck tires and missed by the flaps, over time would negate any savings in gas!

13. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brick @ Mar 12 2007, 06:15 AM) [snapback]404163[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry for the delay in reply - however, I have to admit that I was wrong. Brick's response is correct.

The truck benefits slightly from you drafting him very closely. The Prius benefits the most.

Someone asked me for a reference. I did some searching, and found many sites that talk about this. However, the following site had the best explanation for our particular problem.

http://www.markmartin.org/drafting.html

In doing the research, a couple of things came out...

* To benefit, you have to be less than 20 feet away from the truck... so approximately 1 car length.
    * A big rig is not that great of a vehicle to draft for a Prius because a lot of air is coming through from under the big rig. Drafting a cop car would be better (just kidding about that last part.... :D )

14. KV55

KV55 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Thanks for the link. The "wreck" pictures might help slow folk down, as will the picture on Cleanmpg.com if anyone saw it yesterday.

My experience is that the draft effect starts much further back than 20 feet, it will be greater the faster the speed of the lorry. If you slowly approach the rear of a lorry at a steady speed you start to see the fuel consumption drop away almost as if it was linked to the distance. Just joining the slow and steady traffic will give more miles per gallon through the slower speeds and the smoother driving.

Drafting must work or why else would I always have a 4x4 right on my tail.

Stay safe.

15. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info John :)

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KV55 @ Mar 12 2007, 09:38 AM) [snapback]404171[/snapback]</div>
    The bird theory also apply to the cars. I noticed my MPG is higher in "normal" lanes with other cars as oppose to going solo in HOV! I am comparing with the same speed. When I was paying attention, I made sure there were no jam before exiting HOV.

17. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Mar 12 2007, 08:14 AM) [snapback]404162[/snapback]</div>
    Looks like an episode for Myth Busters is needed. B)

18. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Dennis, cool movie. So have you been "busted" by one of your fellow motorists yet? You probably get some funny looks.

19. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For one thing, truckers *hate* when you do that. They can't see
    you. On the way out to Hybridfest last summer I tried some drafting,
    and after some long-term data collection it turned out I was doing
    better by *not* drafting. Being close to the truck caused my own
    speed control to have to be much more manic-depressive than if I
    was able to predict long-term, pushing me out of the sweet-spot
    engine operation bellcurve far too often, just to stay at the right
    distance. And if one of those big guys happened to throw an
    "alligator" right then, I would have been *toast*.
    You're better off with a *huge* gap in front of you, for any number
    of reasons. Read this if you're not convinced.
    _H*

20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Mar 14 2007, 10:32 PM) [snapback]405825[/snapback]</div>
    Nothing to bust, I guess. I keep the same distance as I would if a regular car would be in front of me. As you've seen in the video, someone even cut between me and the truck.

Other cars were behind me too. Sometimes closer to me than the distance I keep between me and the truck. Remember, this was during rush hour around 6 PM and everyone is going home from work. Cars and trucks driver pretty close to each other.

If I were to follow a truck on an Interstate in the weekend, I can see this as being obvious drafting. However, in metro area, cops don't ticket for tailgating unless you have less than one car length buffer. I was in a friend's BMW when he got a ticket for tailgating and I know how close he was.

Those that are saying it is not safe, please check out the video first. Was I following too closely? Should I leave more room in front of me? I felt very safe following with that buffer at that speed.