1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Safety Connect

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by BeachBob, Dec 5, 2017.

1. BeachBob

BeachBob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I picked up my new Prime Advanced on Saturday. (Happy dance.) I live in Florida which means the only way you get one is either ordering or, in my case, buying one that someone who pre-ordered gave up on. To get to the point, I couldn't set up Safety Connect at the dealer because the car was already registered in the name of the person who originally ordered it. This should be rectified sometime this week, but it does give me time to ask a couple of questions:

Am I correct that the 2017 Prime Advanced comes with 3 years of Safety Connect? Is there any reason not to take advantage of this?

Has anyone used Safety Connect for roadside assistance? I have been a AAA member for perhaps 30 years and have been satisfied with their roadside service. But I no longer make long trips, so I'm wondering if Safety Connect would be a reasonable substitute for the once every few years I have a flat tire, etc., locally.

Thanks.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  2. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Used the Safety Connect for my flat tire; worked great, although I should have asked to be taken to tire store instead of dealer. My understanding is that you can ask for that, not just a Toyota dealer. They also got police, as I was parked in a precarious location. I still also have AAA, with towing as part of my coverage. To activate it, I believe that I just pushed the button, a lady came on the speakers, and voila, instant coverage!

priuscatprimeguy and dalcon95 like this.
  3. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Safety Connect costs many times what road side assistance does on my car insurance. I think I pay $11 every 6 months on my insurance. I don't want to have to deal with being forced to be towed to a Toyota dealer and I don't really want to get used to the "Prime Apps" before I cancel Safety Connect, so I never activated it.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  4. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I only will use it while its free; I do the same with the XM radio, which I've never used. It's fun and works while free!

5. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ok, got it safety connect for free for three, then AAA for much less $, but skip the XM after its free, really, if they get your credit card they have it for life, yes, if you're lucky, call on a fifth Sunday of the month and your mothers maiden name is Trump you might be able to cancel the self fulfilling subscription, but, chances are you can’t, and XM sux

6. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Agree XM is a total PITA. I've found that you CAN cancel it on the 4th Tuesday of an odd-numbered leap year, even if your mother-in-law's last name is not Chaney!!

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  7. BeachBob

BeachBob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks for all the replies. I knew enough about XM to not even be tempted. I think what interests me about the Safety Connect is the automatic collision notification and vehicle location in case of theft.