1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Safety factor in Ascend or Defender vs ES A/S

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Arthur Foreman, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Arthur Foreman

Arthur Foreman Country driver

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It seems like the trade-0ff for better MPG and ride with the ES A/S is less handling and braking ability. Disregarding treadwear, just how significant is the handling and braking in practice? Of course it depends on conditions, but in general is the ES/AS as safe a tire as Ascend or Defender?

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know about shear braking efficiency because I never tested that but I would think the ESAS would stop withing a few feet of the other two tires in the wet. In the dry it the ESAS may be a bit worse than the Defender but until the new tests come out it is hard to speculate. From a handling standpoint I feel the Ascend is much better than the ESAS. I have not tested the Defender but the pending tests did compare the Defender and Ascend so we shall soon see. I hear the Defender did poorly in the wet but did spectacularly well in the dry grip department.

I reviewed the ESAS and Ascend in the GenIII Fuel Economy forum. My Primacy MXM4 review is in the GenII forum.

From a safety standpoint I think all three tires are safe. If you are a speed nut and like weaving through traffic at 80+ then get the Ascend, ProContact w/EcoPlus or better yet get the Primacy MXV4! LOL

3. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Safe is relative. But then again, being able to stop sooner and/or more easily maneuver away from trouble will improve safety.

So in that sense, yes; I guess the Defender or Primacy MXV4 (or any higher traction tire) will be safer.

iPhone ?