1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Safety Features Still Optional

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fillerup, Nov 5, 2005.

1. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I'm glad Toyota bundles some of the safety stuff into the base model. Not having windows would be real bad. No steering wheel, customer will provide their own is bad. Gas cap optional, rag would do, and we will save $8.29 per car. there would be substantial cost savings to both the company and the customer. However, can we really trust individuals to make and properly attach their own steering wheel, or was it really a great idea by Toyota to make that part of the base model? I think they did the right thing.

Perhaps they did provide a base level of safety, and computer controlled stability and air bags beyond driver/passenger front are OPTIONAL, and JBL stereo is optional and so are curtain airbags. Just because you think those should be required and standard doesn't mean that you run things at Toyota.

One day, it will be all your fault. You won't be blaming lack of this or that on someone else. Could that be? Oh yeah, it really could be all your fault, and those guys you keep pointing at are not responsible for it all.

2. coloradospringsprius

I guess I'm confused by your post. Here are the two situations - the current one and your hypothetical one:

1. Base model has no side/curtain airbags; versus
    2. Base model has side/curtain airbags, but costs more.

By definition, the only people affected by the difference in situations 1 and 2 are the tiny fraction of buyers who can afford the base model in situation #1, but cannot afford the base model in situation #2.

Now, the buyer has an accident. In the situation #1 scenario, the buyer must explain to the survivors "that side bags and curtains were just too expensive but were available." That's a tough conversation, but the fact is, the buyer couldn't afford a Prius with side/curtain airbags, and chose to get one anyway. That's an assumption of risk, and in no way Toyota's fault.

In your situation #2, the buyer would have been in a different car, because the base model was too expensive.

Perhaps you're suggesting that Toyota is somehow tempting people to forego side/curtain airbags by making it possible to get a Prius without them? I certainly wouldn't want to be the person explaining to survivors that I tried to save money by foregoing additional safety features. But the responsibility - all if it - is mine, not Toyota's.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Amazing how we didn't have side airbags a few years ago and everyone got along fine lol. I think better absorping side structure would be money better spent than relying on bags to save your customer.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    considering the driving death toll i dont think ALL of us were fine...

5. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I believe that even the less expensive VW comes with all the safety features (plus rear disc brakes).

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I once read a post on the Yahoo chats where someone was considering (or have already done) replacing the seats for something more comfortable. When asked if that would effect the airbags, the response was the chance of the side airbags going off is so remote they're willing to take the chance in order to avoid the pain of everyday driving.

7. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

I don't mind that the safety features are optional.
    I do mind that the package with just the extra safety features (#4) is not among those that my region will be stocking.
    I'll have to get package #2 without the extra safety features
    or spring for $3k more and get a bunch of luxury features I am not interested
    or try to get a package #4 from some other region. :(

8. fillerup

fillerup New Member

There really is only one way to solve this disagreement--and that is for Toyota to include them as standard equipment just as Honda does for its Civic.

IMHO, no amount of equivicating, price and consumer choice included, can excuse an automobile living on the edge of technology from having them.

There is no reason why we cannot praise Toyota for its wonderful automobile while at the same time criticizing its decision to forgo including available safety features as standard equipment in its showcase car.

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree that there's no reason we can't be critical, but the point most of us our trying to make is that this is all about choice. There are still people who don't want/don't trust/don't believe in the safety of VSC or air bags. You're eliminating some individual choice for those people.

Also, where does this end. If safety is to take a top priority at any cost then shouldn't we have those radar controlled warning systems for if you start to wander off the road. How about the radar monitored cruise control that will apply brakes if you start to get too close to the car in front of you. We should probably also put roll cages in to really improve the cabin security too.

I repeat, as before. I agree with you, the available safety features for Prius are fantastic and whenever I have the opportunity I encourage people to spend the extra money to get them...if for no other reason than the SKS is the coolest thing and it's worth the extra cost for that alone. But we can't resort to forcing things down people's throats in a free market economy. Prius is a new vehicle. Perhaps, in 3 years with the 3G when there are 500k Prius on the road and it's poised to overtake Camry as the most popular car on the market and production cost for the hybrid components has come down THEN Toyota can look to taking the step toward including all the components you mention....and more. When the market will bear the cost and the vehicle will still be competatively priced in it's targe market I have no doubt Toyota will include them as standard...just as the LATCH system is standard, just as bumpers are standard.

But if you price yourself out of the market there'd be no need for this argument at all b/c there would be no car to argue about.

10. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

IMHO, no amount of equivicating, price and consumer choice included, can excuse an automobile living on the edge of technology from having them.

HOs are one of two commonly acknowledged things we all have. Other people (a majority, judging from both this forum and sales figures) have a different one. Opinion, that is.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The same reason why Toyota made ABS optional on the Camry. They say there are those that don't want ABS.

12. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I like the idea that people can still be a little bit responsible for their own safety, not only can you choose side curtain airbags or not, you can choose what kind of car you want. If you want the maximum possibility of avoiding an accident to start with go to driving school and buy a car that handles and stops well such as an S2000 or a 350Z. If you want the best chance of surviving an accident buy a Suburban or an Excursion or a dump truck, but avoid collisions with railroad locomotives.

13. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm, I don't know about the rest of you but when I bought my Prius I didn't have a choice unless I was willing to get on a waiting list. I called all the dealers in the SF bay area. 2 had cars for sale. One in Concord, one in San Jose. Both were selling at MSRP. Concord had 2 cars. One was a silver package 6, the other a Salsa Red package 3. San Jose had a tideland #6. This was the third week of June this year. I called Concord and said I was on my way to buy a prius. I was about 30 minutes away. They said to hurry. When I got there, the #6 was driving off the lot with a new buyer so, I had a choice. Wait or buy what they had now. I decided to buy the #3 Salsa red. While I worked all the details with the Finance guy there were 3 people begging to buy that car and were offering above MSRP to get it.
    I did not even know the real differences between packages. Yes, I had gotten online and checked but I was not entirely sure what all the details were. As it turned out, I went in thinking of a #4 with VIP security and matts. I could not justify the additional cost for a package 6 anyway when all I was looking at a #6 for was the navigation. I settled for a 3 with VIP ,matts, safety kit, cargo net , wheel locks, and bumper applique. :) I feel lucky to have gotten a car at all without having to be on a waiting list and since then, it's only become worse.
    The truth is, I did not absolutly need a new car. It was a present to my wife for completing her post graduate degree and landing a new job requiring a 30 mile each way commute as a grammer school principal. I probably would not have bought it if I had to wait. So, am I angry that certain safety options are only offered in expensive packages? I don't think so.
    -Paul R. Haller- :unsure:

14. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

Of course everyone would like the freedom to mix and match accessories, but Toyota is not stupid and if they thought that they could sell more accessories that way they would have jumped on it.

The Scion is an interesting example, but completely different from the Prius. Most of the Scion accessories are things that get bolted on and don't require much integration work. Fancy pedals, knobs, wheels, spoilers, etc. For the options that do require electrical or other integration, their prices are ridiculously high.

An auto dimming mirror on a Scion costs $295. An ipod jack for the stereo costs $260.

The equivalent options inside Prius packages cost about half as much or less.

I do think that Toyota could offer side airbags for the Prius ala carte, but because of the liability issues around installing them right, and simply because ala carte costs more, I think it would be reasonable to expect them to cost more much more. It could very well cost as much as buying whatever package had them even with some options you didn't need.

The biggest issue I think with these kinds of options is the "What can I do to get you to drive home in this car tonight" sales mentality. Maybe once cars sales moves towards a more internet-driven, order-based model, these things can start happenning.

15. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

you can not simply install of those airbags manually - it would take a lot of time, wiring is simply not there and in some parts, it would mean new seats. It really does not work that way.

I dont see whats wrong with having an option, if you want it, simply buy it! Cost of something like that will not be amortized, airbags cost so price of Prius would end up being more...

16. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I do mind that the package with just the extra safety features (#4) is not among those that my region will be stocking.

Um... guess what? Your region will not be stocking any of the Prius models.

In fact, all of the Prius in America are ordered to the dealer. I did order a package that is 'meant' for my region, but it would not have mattered a lick if I had ordered any of the packages. get what you want, you're going to have to wait 4 months for it to come, and both toyota and your dealer could care less what number it is.

Now... If you are talking about which cars Toyota would position in areas had they caught up to demand, then it is unlikely the package you want would be sitting on the lot waiting for you. But since there won't be anything sitting on the lot and you will have to order one no matter what, you just go right on ahead and get the one you want.

You have my permission, and if anyone gives you trouble, you tell them you read it on the internet, it has to be true.

Oh.. and, our dealer had a package that is not typical to our area come available. I didn't take it, and someone else did.