1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Safety features

Discussion in 'Honda/Acura Hybrids and EVs' started by LongRun, Mar 4, 2007.

1. LongRun

LongRun New Member

Is it true the the Civic Hybrid does not offer any kind of computer aided stability control or traction control?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yes, it doesn't have active safety features other than ABS w/EBD

It does have Brake Assist in Canada.

3. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LongRun @ Mar 4 2007, 11:08 PM) [snapback]400137[/snapback]</div>

Yes, it is true but only in Canada, the US and a few other smaller markets.

In the Japanese and European markets the civic hybrids have those features and a few more we'll never see in these shores. :(

Cheers;

MSantos

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah but it sells for more in Europe. The Japanese cars there are equipped better anyway.

The old Honda IMA (first gen HCH) used our Acura 1.6EL wheels lol.

Besides, the new Corolla (the one that's coming next year) in Japan has SKS, backup camera, IPA, CVT, nav, 4wd, HIDs, adaptive headlights, LED brakelights etc etc.

We'll probably only see the CVT. Maybe we'll get LEDs and nav for the US.

5. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I made the mistake of buying the 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid and driving it for 12,000 miles, getting about 38 MPG. I noticed that the brakes seemed very grabby. I took it to the dealer for the grabby brakes, and they said everything checked out fine.

I eventually traded it for the Prius, correcting my grave error, and I had forgotten all about the grabby brakes until I saw this thread. I think the computer was not blending Regenerative Braking and Mechanical Braking correclty when I tried to brake moderately.

6. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Civic Hybrid does not have stability control or even traction control (optional on Prius).
    However, active head restraint and side curtain air bags are standard on Civic hybrid. The former is NOT available on Prius and the latter, optional. And I like Civic's suspension better. Certainly, Prius has a better hybrid system than what is offered by Honda. Honda believe in low-cost hybrid system for small vehicles in the short term amd fuel cell for the longer term. Super-clean diesel engines for larger vehicles are to come within 3 years.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ceric @ Mar 27 2007, 03:52 AM) [snapback]412798[/snapback]</div>
    A minor clarification: traction control is standard on all Prius (to the annoyance of many); VSC is an option.

Tom

8. RinMI

RinMI New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ceric @ Mar 27 2007, 03:52 AM) [snapback]412798[/snapback]</div>

Side air bags are standard now on the prius are they not?