1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Safety Plug not Seating Fully after Battery Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by E-STL, Jan 28, 2020.

1. E-STL

E-STL New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    long-time lurker and overly enthusiastic DIY-er here. Apologies for this being my first post, but I'm flat out of ideas.

Recently bought a battery replacement kit from newpriusbatteries and am having some issues with the install. Getting the dreaded "Problem" message on the media display, and the car refuses to ready.

The battery itself is correctly configured and measures 218 volts when the orange plug is inserted; however, the orange safety plug/disconnect will not "snap" into position when pushing the lever down after inserting the plug and rotating the lever.

The attached picture shows the lever resting on the black plastic pins, preventing it from going down any farther.

Last night, I tried every possibly angle of insertion and applied as much downward pressure to the lever as I dared, both unsuccessful in getting the plug to snap and thus the car unable to ready.

Additionally, I attempted to ready the car four times, reset any codes with an OBD-II scanner, and then attempted to ready four more times, with each attempt resulting in the "Problem" error. The 12V is brand new, so that shouldn't be the cause of any issue.

Has anybody else experienced an issue getting the plug to snap into place?

Attached Files:

2. E-STL

E-STL New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Update: the position of the safety disconnect was correct. Issue required Toyota to reset the computer to recognize the battery. OBD-II reset and multiple attempts to "ready" car were unsuccessful. Unsure of the veracity, but Toyota tech said that the computers sometime "trip out" when a battery is installed, necessitating a Techstream intervention.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That tech is full of crap.

M in KC likes this.
  4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What led you to determine there was a problem with the safety disconnect? When you disassembled the battery, did you disconnect this wire? If you did, did you reconnect it? If not, the car will never recognize the safety disconnect has been installed.

safety disconnect interlock wire.jpg

5. E-STL

E-STL New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No, I didn't disconnect that wire, and I ensured it was fully seated as that was my initial suspicion. The owner of newpriusbatteries said that the issue was likely the bus bar or the safety disconnect, which is why I thought the safety disconnect was the issue.

6. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Im having the same issue. So it is supposed to be seated like that? That tech is full of crap, what did he really do . Ive got P0a09 and p3000 codes. help